growing parsnips

• 25 Replies

rowlandwells

growing parsnips
« on: October 24, 2010, 20:28 »
 I achieved  decent results from starting my parsnip seed off in peat pots this year. I set 2 seeds per pot, pulled the worst one out to let the stronger one grow up, then ridged up the ground in rows, setting the pots in the ridge as the lottie is a bit on the stoney side :mellow:

lifted some the other day. Beautiful, not too long but good flavour. I am toiling with another  way of setting my parsnips next year. I read in one of my old gardening books about setting for showing  :wub:

so i going to set the seed in peat pots as before and when i set them in the lottie, ridge the ground then get a metal bar, make a hole 15cm/30cm, fill it with multi purpose compost and set the pot into the hole. Will it work? :nowink:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 20:40 by noshed »

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Re: growing parsnips
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 21:31 »
I did the same as you this year, not lifted any yet but hopefully there good :D

Your idea will work, im doing a simliar thing in a barrel of sand and boring holes then filling with multi purpose compost, so yes it will work and you should get some realy good results :D :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 22:03 »
If you want snips for showing, try a lenght of 4in plastic soil pipe set into the ground. Fill with a mix of 60% sand and 40% good compost. Plant into this and watch them go.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 22:14 »
I picked my first today - after a couple of frosts over the last week or so - and lovely they were too when roasted.

I did a "foolproof" method which seemed logical at the time and worked fully last year so I thought I would try again this year all those months ago when sowing - in case it was merely beginner's luck!: ie) I simply popped 5-6 seeds in each of the many small holes I made along the rows all those months ago, covered and watered - and each hole gave at least one germination, and now of course a parsnip per hole.

Some of my "drills" led to several seeds germinating which I simply transplanted to another patch as a trial to see if young transplants work - they clearly do as my second parsnip patch is also ready to be harvested - although there is no rush!

I was going to play with other techniques but to be honest, given this worked again this year I will stick with it. And it's not as if it's a waste of seed given they are so cheap and the parsnip seeds don't keep!!
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 16:51 »
 thanks all for your helpful replies [RW]

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 19:18 »
Watched a designer chef programme a few weeks ago and they had a recipe for mashed parsnips, olive oil and parmesan cheese. Tried it and it was disgusting.

I start my parsnips off sown thinly under a cloche to ensure good germination. I don't thin them so that they produce various sizes. Dug some up last week and they were of a good size but unfortunately used them in them in the above recipe >:(

I would try fatcat's method or similar if you are planning to show them next year and sow them under protection as early as possible,

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 21:10 »
i started mine this year in toilet rolls after going straight in to the soil last year.

Lifted one for dinner yesterday and it was a good 18" long, 3" across at the crown and very delicious.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 22:00 »
I was toying with trying parsnips next year, but my ground is clay with lots of stones. I know that's not ideal conditions for parsnips, but will they just grow misshapen under those conditions, or not at all?

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 22:17 »
I was toying with trying parsnips next year, but my ground is clay with lots of stones. I know that's not ideal conditions for parsnips, but will they just grow misshapen under those conditions, or not at all?

I grow mine in flower buckets in a mix of home-made compost with sharp sand and get great results. If you want to grow them in your clay soil take a crowbar or similar and ram it into the ground then wiggle it about to give a cone-shaped hole approx. 3-4 inches across at the top. Fill this with sand/compost mix and sow a couple of seeds to each hole. Thin out to the strongest seedling.

I know it sounds a faff but having stony clay soil is no reason not to grow parsnips  :)

noshed

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 22:18 »
Try the hole filled with compost method - that might get over the stone problem
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 07:27 »
Watched a designer chef programme a few weeks ago and they had a recipe for mashed parsnips, olive oil and parmesan cheese. Tried it and it was disgusting.

I'm quite imaginative and quite good at flavour combinations, but I sometimes watch these chefs and think to myself "that is not going to taste nice"..  :nowink:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

veggieman

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 09:02 »
If you want snips for showing, try a lenght of 4in plastic soil pipe set into the ground. Fill with a mix of 60% sand and 40% good compost. Plant into this and watch them go.

That is a really brilliant idea and I have access to loads of redundant salmon feed pipes here so will definitely try that. Can you recommend a parsnip variety that would be best for this?
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 09:26 »

Delia has a recipe for parmesan parsnips.  We tried it one Christmas and it was vile.  Others have thoroughly enjoyed it but for some reason the recipe didn't work at all for us.  Never to be repeated  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 08:59 »
I love parsips but haven't tried growing any. When is the best time to sow?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 09:46 »
Hi Munchkin,

Parsnip seeds need to be sown from February into March but can be sown up to May at a push.

:)

xx
Growing Parsnips

Started by john shep on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 22:00
by Togalosh
xx
Growing parsnips

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 15:09
by aelf
xx
Growing Parsnips!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 23:04
by LeeR
clip
Growing Parsnips

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post January 01, 2015, 10:40
by Kristen

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 32 queries.