Growing from strawberry runners

• 6 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Growing from strawberry runners
« on: August 07, 2011, 17:29 »
Hi - im a newbie to Strawberries... I rescued some plants from a neighbour who forgot to water them and gave them to me to bring back to life... I planted them 3 each to a 5" deep x 18" long tub - only lost one plant...  

I have just taken over a new garden share plot and want to do lots of strawberries to make jam as grandad gave up his allotment so no more jam!! eeks!!

My plants have given off many runners now so I have placed lots more tubs around the others and training them into them to grow - I assume I would snip the runner off the mother plant when the runner has rooted and growing well..

My question is - am I doing the right thing and when do I dig up the new runners and plant them either in big tubs on my patio and flat roof or into the ground at my plot.. I'm undecided here to grow them. home or away situation.  

When should I replant the main plants into my plot if I decide to plant out at the plot?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 18:07 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Trillium

Re: Growing from strawberry runners
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 18:05 »
The easiest way around this is to pop the runner's leafing end into a small pot of compost, whichis partly buried in the ground. The runner needs time to set good roots before you can safely snip it away from the parent plant. Being in a pot, when it's got good roots, you can plant it out anytime, just be sure to keep the same soil level or there will be problems.

Strawb plants live a maximum of 5 years before they die off, so its hard to know what age your original plants are. Runners are a good way to get new plants started. Prepare the new areas well with lots of manure, compost, BFB, etc and regularly water them. It can be open ground or pots, but if you can find space, open ground will yield more copiously.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 22:00 »
i got 6 plants and only had a handfull of strawberries , the plants are healthy looking and one has a runner wich has rooted on its own , what should i do with them in the winter will they freeze  ??
chrissie b   sorry to hijack your post
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

gavinjconway

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 22:05 »
No probs Chrissie... they are fine in the winter.. my grandad is in Scotland and his just keep going ..

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 22:11 »
Ive potted into small pots the runners of about 40 plants today. Gotta admit i love the way you get free plants each year from them!!

gavinjconway

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 22:42 »
cool - I need some please !!!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:23 »
Iv'e done a load to this last week keep them wet at the roots to help them start of well. My dad always used to grow them on in old milk bottles.
Thanks
Kris

xx
Rooted strawberry runners sending out runners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 19:42
by Tracybutton
xx
strawberry runners from runners, any good to use?

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 14:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
strawberry runners on runners now what do i do

Started by darrenwest1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 18:24
by darrenwest1
xx
strawberry runners

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 18:31
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 32 queries.