How long do mycoplasma bacteria survive?

• 10 Replies

Helenaj

How long do mycoplasma bacteria survive?
« on: August 11, 2010, 07:37 »
Hi

As some members know, I had an outbreak of mycoplasma just over two weeks ago, with the last hen recovering just under a week ago. My question is - how long does the bacteria last outside of the chicken? I have 7 week old chicks that I want to introduce to my flock, but am a little wary because I know that Myco can kill young birds.
They have been separated from the main flock in their own run and have had contact with my birds through the mesh, but have not grazed on any vegetation that my main flock have been in contact with. I gave my chicks a preventative course of Tylan on my vets advice during the outbreak, but am just wondering if they can pick it up now from grazing where my other birds have been or from being in contact with their droppings.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: How long do mycoplasma bacteria survive?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:22 »
The hens that had myco will now have it for life, so they could have another attack of it at any time when stressed. Then when they have the attack this is the time that they could infect the other birds. I had one that had myco and non of the others did even though they all slept together but really I was lucky that no others caught it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:33 »
I know the disease can occur once they have had it once - and I think that it was stress that set it off this time, with some especially noisy builders next door. Thankfully, it only affected two of my birds, but as you say could occur again. I was just wondering if there was any immediate risk to my chicks through their feeding environment now that there is no active outbreak of it.
Chooks - you worry when they are ill and when they are well!!

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:40 »
if you have no outbreak at the moment then hopefully they should be ok, but please be aware that by the time any symptoms show then as with most illnesses they will have been infectious for a while  :(. It is just a risk you will have to take I'm afraid. Make sure you use something like vanodine in their water and perhaps spray the ground with as this is excellent for combatting viruses  :)

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 14:33 »
I've heard about Vanedine before - I'll get some and give it the once over and then leave the grass to rest until the Winter. I was going to move my flock to fresh grass anyway, but didn't want to do it too soon as I don't want them stressed out again, but I think that the greater risk to my chicks at the moment is letting them out whre the others have been.

Thanks for your help - really appreciated.

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 14:38 »
You need Vanodine V18 and I buy mine in 1 litre bottlles. A little goes a long way. It can be bought either from pet shops or on line quite easily  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 16:19 »
Mycoplasma does not live long in the environment give the ground and accomodation a couple of months to be certain of no infection being left.  It will live longer in wet conditions than in dry ones.

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 16:48 »
Pay particular attention to cleaning up any feathers which support this bacteria longer than it otherwise would away from a chx body.  Aunt Sally is probably being a little on the cautious side which is no bad thing if you can afford to leave your housing unoccupied for this long but if you can't, clean up well and disinfect and leave for two weeks should be fine.

In none commercial flocks infection with MG is a lot more widespread than most people think however it doesn't always cause the disease. It's more dangerous to chicks or when complicated with other diseases which usually happens in an outbreak.
HF
Truth through science.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 16:55 »
Belt and braces for me Hilfooter  ;)

Silkysmooth

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 23:48 »
Hi There,

I have had major problems with mycoplasma and outbreaks only happen at two different points: -

1. When new birds are introduced - the New birds contract it and a few of the original birds get reactivation exacerbations of it.

2. Very hot weather.

So basically any harsh stress will cause it to outbreak. I have found 2 drugs to be effective if it does occur: -

Baytril and oxytetracycline - tylan would also work.

p.s. none of my chicks have died with the mycoplasma and have all returned to great health after the mycoplasma infected them.

Best wishes

Andy

Helenaj

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:21 »
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I've already picked up the Vanadine. I am going to move my chickens on the weekend to my new grass which, thankfully, is no-where near this existing plot and I'll keep them off it as long as I can  - hopefully until late November when I will have to bring them back as the Winter conditions can be particularly bad here in deepest Wales (ice rather than snow). This should give the ground ample time to rest and disinfect.
I ordered an extra tub of Tylan from my vets to keep just in case the worse happens. The two birds that had it are looking a little thin - is there anything I can give them to fatten them up a little? The rest of my flock usually get just their pellets and some mixed corn for the evening, but I would like to give these two a little boost if I can.

xx
Beryls Friendly Bacteria

Started by kegs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 11:35
by kegs
xx
beryls friendly bacteria

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 13:43
by Aunt Sally
xx
mycoplasma.

Started by barley on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2013, 21:47
by barley
xx
MYCOPLASMA

Started by The Oxtish on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 14:12
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 33 queries.