What I did on the plot today 2016

• 533 Replies

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
Re: What I did on the plot today 2016
« Reply #465 on: September 06, 2016, 19:37 »
Dressed a batch of ripened onions off ready for storing in the shed. Warm and muggy so lots of midges about.

Flowertot

« Reply #466 on: September 09, 2016, 10:22 »
Weeded a bit, harvested and watered. As feared, the warm humidity this week has turned out to be blight-tastic. 2 of my tomato plants at home now have black spots on their leaves... :(

chillimummy

« Reply #467 on: September 09, 2016, 19:20 »
Finished moving marshmello strawberries so new bed now full. Carried on weeding old strawberry bed and will probably compost rest as they were given to me last year and didn't taste great.
Dug up some more charlotte potatoes and my first desiree. Chopped back bit more of my blackcurrant bushes.
Picked some raspberries.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #468 on: September 09, 2016, 22:51 »
Dug up my first row of main crop Cara potatoes. Really pleased with the size of them. 3 more rows to dig up so we should be ok for jacket potatoes for a while 😀
image.jpeg
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 22:51 by Mattgregory27 »

scenic

• Scenic blogspot
« Reply #469 on: September 11, 2016, 07:12 »
Delivered myself 32 flagstones sourced from freecycle to use as steps and paths.

miggs

« Reply #470 on: September 11, 2016, 15:32 »
Spent a couple of hours down at the plot this morning. Dug up the first batch of spuds, bit on the small side but we should be ok for spuds for months to come. Still got another patch to dig up, leave them for a few more weeks yet. Plenty of digging, getting ready for next year then strimmed path's etc while the weather is good.
The list of seeds from the Suttons catalogue is getting bigger by the hour.

snowdrops

« Reply #471 on: September 11, 2016, 19:54 »
After a weeks holiday I went & surveyed the weeds that have gone ballistic. Dug up the last of the Ambo spuds,quite a good crop, harvested some giant beetroot & radishes, a mooli, lots of green & yellow & purple French, runner beans. A few blackberries,raspberries & strawberries & of course a glut of rather large courgettes. I also removed the spent English marigolds, I worried about removing them before they'd all scattered their seeds, but I needn't have as when I pulled them out hundreds of seeds scattered everywhere, so plenty of bee food for next year. I removed the old bean & pea haulms that I'd left in for a few weeks, then swoed that bed & the old onion bed. Then on to hand weed the leek bed, filling the wheelbarrow high with them to be taken down for Dave's chickens to feast on. Time for home & a well earned shower & a beer
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #472 on: September 12, 2016, 21:27 »
Weather here has been awful for over a week... lots of rain and strong winds. My broccoli keeps keeling over and I keep straightening up the plants and firming down the soil around them... over and over again. It will be a minor miracle if I ever get to harvest any.

miggs

« Reply #473 on: September 14, 2016, 11:15 »
Just about to go down the plot before work. Won't be doing anything other than dropping off 3 Rhubarb plants that I got from the mother in law. They used to have them in big pots but didn't want them anymore, so now they are mine. At the moment I only have the Rhubarb and 1 off Blackcurrent plant. Think I will have to get some Raspberry plants in now. Anyone with some recommendations would be very helpful.
Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #474 on: September 15, 2016, 09:38 »
Think I will have to get some Raspberry plants in now. Anyone with some recommendations would be very helpful.
Thanks.

I've got Autumn Bliss and they are lovely, but they do take a bit of room.  I'm in the process of replacing them with Polka, which are the new improved version according to DT Brown.  They are new canes so I've only had a few fruits, but they are very good  :)

chillimummy

« Reply #475 on: September 15, 2016, 15:14 »
Carried on weeding my overgrown strawberry bed but should have gone this morning  :ohmy:
So hot this afternoon. Having cool down at home then back soon to carry on.
Picked and ate lots of raspberries  :)

miggs

« Reply #476 on: September 17, 2016, 11:51 »
Think I will have to get some Raspberry plants in now. Anyone with some recommendations would be very helpful.
Thanks.

I've got Autumn Bliss and they are lovely, but they do take a bit of room.  I'm in the process of replacing them with Polka, which are the new improved version according to DT Brown.  They are new canes so I've only had a few fruits, but they are very good  :)

How much room are we talking about, going to the plot now to prepare an area.

miggs

« Reply #477 on: September 17, 2016, 15:30 »
Just got back home after preparing the area for the Rhubarb to go into in the morning. Dug over another area of heavy soil, added a lot of compost, will dig it in sometime on Sunday. Strimmed some of the paths upto when the battery went flat. Will strim the rest on Sunday.

snowdrops

« Reply #478 on: September 17, 2016, 19:44 »
Weeded the parsnips,mooli. Cut the comfrey & loaded it into the barrel for fertiliser. Lots more weeding of various ethnic weeds that were sticking up with flower heads on.

miggs

« Reply #479 on: September 18, 2016, 21:46 »
Another couple of hours at the plot today. Dug in a lot of compost and then planted 3 crowns of Rhubarb. Thinned out a lot of Cabbage, hoed and dug over lots of ground. Strimmed all the paths before I left.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 29 queries.