Raised Beds

• 17 Replies

Welsh Merf

Raised Beds
« on: November 03, 2014, 20:24 »
Can somebody tell me if these two raised beds that I've just constructed are too big? They are 2.5 metres on each side, and 225 mm (about 9") in height. I totally lost control of my plot this year, and now I'm making the big fight-back to regain control. Many thanks!
Allotment-14.jpg
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

snowdrops

Re: Raised Beds
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 20:29 »
Depends whether you can reach all of it from the sides as one of the reasons for raised beds is that you never walk on the soil, but that might not be your reason for having them :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 20:47 »
Use a plank to spread your weight if you find you are going into the raised bed. Alternatively have the beds no more than a comfortable arm's length from every edge for ease of access.

If you do many raised beds before you are ready to use them, use some newspaper to suppress the weeds and make your life easier.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 21:17 »
as said it depends if you can reach the middle.

i'm about to build a large raised bed myself and am looking to run some sort of grab rail down the middle to lean on, and /or rest boards on whilst working in the bed. i'm hoping this way i won't loose as much space, as there won't be need for another path

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 21:29 »
The grab rail sounds like hard work.  Go for the path and be comfy I'd say...

Adri

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 22:12 »
Have a look at YnFh62j3sOolist=UU6YgvyGnc7HBvBEVAeDnsiw

He also has filling and a Q&A about Raise Beds on his channel

At the end of the day it's what your happy working with, and what's best for you. My beds are not raised but I still made them 8 x 4 ft with 2 ft paths around so they are easy to work without stretching too much

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 05:50 »
Earlier this year I prepared a plot and decided to favour stretching a little bit instead of a path. This summer just gone, I had an amazing fall that wouldn't have happened had I had a path of sorts and I'm still in pain now. 10 extra carrots just isn't worth it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 09:27 »
Just lay a plank across the middle for walking on - works for me  ;)

simonwatson

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 10:16 »
Speaking from experience, mine are 6 feet wide and 12 feet long and that's too wide. The trouble with laying a plank across is that sometimes you end up flattening something in order to place the plank.

ptarmigan

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 10:25 »
They'll be OK if you put a plank across them to step or lean on - just bear in mind that you'll have to leave a gap for that when planting.  Mine are 4 foot wide and I still have to put a plank down in order to sow in the middle of the beds - but it's fine - work well. Second the idea above of putting some cover down on them over the winter - cardboard weighed down with bricks or manure or compost if you have it.  That'll start the worms working and keep it a bit warmer for them. 

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 16:44 »
My beds are  2.4M X 1.2M. they are easy to work on and I make the paths as narrow as possible (18" mostly)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 16:46 by mumofstig »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 17:57 »
My beds are 4' wide, and the length of my plot (which makes it quite a long way to walk to the end of the bed to then get around to the far side!)

My paths are a bit more than 18" (I'd need to measure them to be sure ...)  I decided on the width based on the space I needed to kneel in the path, to weed etc., and to "park" a barrow easily.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 18:36 »
Mmm . . . some very interesting replies - thanks very much! I guess it looks like the plank across the middle as an answer. I only made them that size because that was the length of the boards when I got them.

On the manure point that some of you mentioned, there are tonnes of the stuff on the allotment (horse manure),  but there's lots of straw mixed in with it. I've used it before, and not too many weeds developed from it, so I'll be finishing digging over the second bed on Saturday, and then covering them both with manure over the winter.

cadalot

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 18:55 »
Merf - They make a thing called a saw  ::) so you could always cut two 2.5m in half and get beds 1.25 x 2.5   

Welsh Merf

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 19:05 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: very witty! I actually have a chainsaw and a plethora of other saws - but I now have a cunning plan!  ;)

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised beds

Started by bobbyboy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 10, 2006, 12:33
by milkman
xx
Raised Beds

Started by anti on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 21:28
by richyrich7
xx
raised beds

Started by steve n gillian on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 10:21
by gobs

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 30 queries.