What strange objects have your chickens unearthed?

• 23 Replies

wendyg

What strange objects have your chickens unearthed?
« on: October 04, 2011, 21:15 »
Went to check on my hens on my allotment and glanced down (checking for somewhere with no chicken poo to put down the bag of bedding) and found an adult molar tooth.  It wash't there yesterday so I assume they dug it up when scratching around looking for insects.  The owner of the tooth must have suffered from toothache though, as it has a large cavity in one side.  I often find small bits of crockery and the odd rusty nail, but I was very surprised to find a tooth.
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: What strange objects have your chickens unearthed?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 21:17 »
just hope you don't find the rest of the person  :ohmy:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 22:16 »
 :ohmy: A tooth is definitely an odd thing to find!

Mind you, my chickens have dug up a lot of bones in their run.  I have just assumed they were animal bones but who knows...  :blink:

My chicken run is on top of an old rubbish heap.  Mostly it's just garden waste but the girls have also dug up an entire gin bottle.  Unfortunately the lid was rusted through so the contents had gone.  ;) 

They have also found several tiny glass medicine bottles, the head of a china figurine, broken crockery, parts of a large iron candelabra and around 50 million pink plastic clothes pegs.  No teeth though.

evie2

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 14:31 »
Ours found a German GCSE cd which had 'mysteriously disappeared' according to daughter who fell out with younger sister just before that sister was about to sit her German GCSE >:(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 14:52 »
In the course of a week my hens scratched out a long glass tube, a rear reflector from an ancient pushbike and a sheaf knife with most of the blade rusted away, all by straining their necks through a chain-link fence under an old privet hedge.

No gold or gems yet ! :)

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 15:08 »
my duck run includes a mound that was once a compost plus rubbish heap in an old orchard that from the number of toy soldiers and bits of dolls they unearth I have to assume was at one time the scene of many a battle between some small boy's heroes and his sisters "lost" dolls.
Nothing of value though.
R

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 20:33 »
I've had lots of broken blue crockery, a diecast dinky car, a couple of horseshoes and a link from a draught horse saddle/ collar was the last thing I noticed.  No hoards of buried treasure so far.
HF
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 23:45 »
Ours found a German GCSE cd which had 'mysteriously disappeared' according to daughter who fell out with younger sister just before that sister was about to sit her German GCSE >:(

:lol: :lol: Oops I mean:  >:(

wendyg I'm glad you started this post because a couple of weeks ago I resolved to buy/make a bird bath to distract the wild birds from bathing in my chickens' water dish.

Well yesterday I noticed the chickens had partially unearthed a strange looking object.  It turned out to be a buried bird bath!  :blink:  It has a crack in it, but nothing that can't be repaired. How about that?!

Today I really need a large suitcase full of gold bars.  I look forward to the chickens doing a bit more excavating.

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 00:50 »

:lol: :lol: Oops I mean:  >:(

wendyg I'm glad you started this post because a couple of weeks ago I resolved to buy/make a bird bath to distract the wild birds from bathing in my chickens' water dish.

Well yesterday I noticed the chickens had partially unearthed a strange looking object.  It turned out to be a buried bird bath!  :blink:  It has a crack in it, but nothing that can't be repaired. How about that?!

Today I really need a large suitcase full of gold bars.  I look forward to the chickens doing a bit more excavating.

Exactly what I need.  When they find it Lindeggs can I have the suitcase?
HF

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 01:33 »
Oh yes I'll definitely send you the suitcase.  Unfortunately the postage for gold bars is rather prohibitive so I will have to keep them myself.

By the way Hillfooter, I seem to have misplaced a large bag of diamonds, rubies etc.  If you happen to see them, could you kindly return them to me?  I think I last had them in the vicinity of your garden.  I will be happy to travel to collect them as they have sentimental value.

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 09:55 »
Oh yes I'll definitely send you the suitcase.  Unfortunately the postage for gold bars is rather prohibitive so I will have to keep them myself.

By the way Hillfooter, I seem to have misplaced a large bag of diamonds, rubies etc.  If you happen to see them, could you kindly return them to me?  I think I last had them in the vicinity of your garden.  I will be happy to travel to collect them as they have sentimental value.

Certainly I'll swap you the bag for the suitcase.
HF

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 10:31 »
My chickens have dug up some yellow sandstone bricks , an old pink talc bottle, a old glass backs bottle loads of old iron locks and keys and currenty something about 5foot long and iron

evie2

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 11:31 »
We live parallel to an old Roman road, I wonder if there's any chance the hens could dig up some Roman artefacts then Time Team could come and remodel the garden excavate ::)

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 13:18 »
My chickens have dug up............, an old pink talc bottle, .................

Well that solves the mother in laws Christmas present then. :lol:
HF
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 15:20 by hillfooter »

Helenaj

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 15:12 »

Well that solves the mother in laws Christmas present then. :lol:
HF

Naughty naughty!!!  :D :D

xx
Strange

Started by carolbriar on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 13:13
by carolbriar
xx
Strange day

Started by PaulineM on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 17:03
by LittleRedHen
xx
Strange egg

Started by pepsi100 on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2013, 09:46
by pepsi100
xx
Strange egg production

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2012, 21:49
by andy46

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 29 queries.