Our new additions

• 8 Replies

Carolf

• Experienced Member
Our new additions
« on: January 08, 2012, 16:53 »
We collected the new additions this morning and what a job that was.  We spent the best part of 30 minutes chasing one chook around the garden, over the fence and back again.  Managed to catch her while she was sitting in the hedge probably thinking she was invisible  :tongue2:

When we arrived at the ladies house I was a bit upset to see the conditions they were living in.  A very dank run half under a hedge and their coop wasn't too clean either :( 
I noticed while we were trying to gather the 3 up that their combs and wattles seemed to be a pale pink colour (either that or I wasn't seeing right).  When we got them home they all 3 headed for the water bowl and stood and drank for what seemed the best part of 15 minutes and the more time that went by the more (I thought) red their combs became.   Is it possible they were dehydrated?  I didn't notice any water bowls in their enclosure but then I was too busy chasing them to really look  :blink:

Either way, they are now in their own enclosure away from Penelope and Felicity (who are now known as the 2 fat ladies as they are massive in comparison to the new ones).  They seem to have settled in rather quickly and they put themselves to bed with no bother *phew*

We have named them Boris, Dolly and Daisy  :D

I've added a pic but I am sure I will get some better ones in the days to come :)
New additions.JPG
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Our new additions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 17:11 »
Sounds like they were very dehydrated Carolf  :(  I would worm them and check them carefully for lice if you thought their living conditions were less than ideal.  You don't want them spreading nasties to your fat ladies  :)

They are very pretty girls though.  Boris is also a handsome lad and doesn't he know it :lol:

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 17:32 »
Thanks for the advice New Shoot.  I was thinking worming them would be a good idea, and I will certainly keep a beady eye out for lice or any other 'friends' they may have brought with.

The coop they are now in is brand new and I did a good 'slurry' job on it so that should put paid to any strays lurking behind when they come out in the morning ;)

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 13:35 »
Hi Carolf. They are lovely looking birds, do you mind we asking what breed they are?
Helen

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 16:05 »
Hi Carolf. They are lovely looking birds, do you mind we asking what breed they are?

I was told they were bantams (what I know about breeds is minuscule), around 2 years old and they are rather small in comparison to my other 2 which are either Warrens or Orpingtons or some other brown/red breed  ::)

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 13:45 »
The girls look like leghorns, but I can't see what Boris is.  He is gorgeous though!  :D
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 14:53 »
The girls look like leghorns, but I can't see what Boris is.  He is gorgeous though!  :D

I've just had a scout about on the net and the female pics I have seen are the same as my 2 so you are correct.  It would appear that Boris is a leghorn as well if the pics are anything to go by. 
I will post more pics later when they are settled enough to stand still for me - at the moment they are a tad shy when I come near the enclosure  ???

Must admit they looked a bit scraggy when we got them but they have been preening and they are all starting to look pretty good now ;)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 18:17 »
They are lovely. Look forward to seeing more pics.  :)

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 13:13 »
We have a leghorn, Florence and we also had to chase her for ages before we caught her when we went tp purchase her.

They can be a bit flighty and she did make a bid for freedom the first night, so we had to clip her wings, but she has settled in now and lays wonderful pure white eggs.  Enjoy  :D
Emma

xx
New additions

Started by Nails on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 15:19
by Bantymad
xx
New additions

Started by Hayleynotts on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post August 20, 2014, 17:16
by Hayleynotts

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 38 queries.