Poll

Is in the green a good idea for some bulbs ?

Yes
9 (81.8%)
No
0 (0%)
Does not make any difference
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 21, 2008, 14:55

In the green a good idea or not

• 33 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« on: January 21, 2008, 14:55 »
I am thinking of planting some more bulbs like snowdrops.
Is it better to plant in the green or not

WG.

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 14:56 »
"Green" as in lawn?

londongardener

• Experienced Member
In the green means
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 14:57 »
From

Why Buy Bulbs 'In the Green'?

Most bulbs are moved as dry bulbs, when they are in a resting state, rootless and leafless. A more successful approach is to move these bulbs ‘in-the-green’, i.e. in spring when the plants are growing, in flower and after flowering.

http://www.gardensupplydirect.co.uk/?listPos=&op=catalogue-products-null&prodCategoryID=8

WG.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 15:01 »
I have voted 'yes' but that really isn't possible when you are buying bulbs.  They must be dried otherwise they would rot in storage (or maybe even compost when still in bulk).

Selkie

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 15:21 »
People do say that snowdrops are more successful when planted 'in the green' but I've never done it myself...

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 17:15 »
Particular bulbs like snowdrops are so small that they're easier to find 'in the green'; however, I have planted them as bulbs with equal success. As for larger bulbs like tulips, daffodils, etc - I wouldn't. They need to set their roots over winter for long life endurance. To do so in a pot limits their lifespan as well as long term vigor. If they're grown in soil and you move the whole clump with no bulb root disturbance, then it's okay. Depends on how much soil you're willing to move to attain this.  Personally, it's a lot of bother, especially when in spring so many other garden jobs really need doing. Easiest thing is to plant them in fall as one of the last jobs, and marked so you can easily find and remember them  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 18:01 »
I believe that snowdrops don't establish themselves well if planted as a dry bulb.  Most nurseries and garden centres sell them growing in small pots.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 21:15 »
We get them as dry packaged bulbs here. A nuisance if the open bag tips over.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 05:39 »
I did not have much success with dry snowdrops. But as Trill says (and your question hints), depends which bulb, some need storing to retain strength. Not snowdrops, though. Lily of the valley and bluebells are also good (better) in the green, crocus and narcissus work both ways.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:02 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I did not have much success with dry snowdrops. But as Trill says (and your question hints), depends which bulb, some need storing to retain strength. Not snowdrops, though. Lily of the valley and bluebells are also good (better) in the green, crocus and narcissus work both ways.

Thanks for that.  When is the latest they (snowdrops and bluebells) can be planted.

Selkie

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:41 »
Our bluebells are growing like weeds!

gobs

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 12:57 »
Bluebells ARE weeds in my book!  :lol: But they are pretty and a lot of people like them to risk infestation. :lol:

In the green would mean, after flowering, before the foliage starts dying back, this would be slightly different time for each variety. If you are ordering them they should be posted at this time.

If you are digging in someone's garden, lift them, once the flower heads died, London.  :)

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 17:06 »
Quote from: "Selkie"
Our bluebells are growing like weeds!

Where do you grow them ?  In a border ?  Or can they grown in the lawn like daffodils or bluebells ?

Selkie

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 17:41 »
We inherited them when we bought the house; they are mostly just growing through the grass at the side of the drive...will pop out and take a photo....they aren't the pretty 'wild' bluebells though, just ordinary garden ones.

Selkie

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 17:52 »

These are my bluebells LondonGardener, sorry I just took the photo now (in the rain and dusk ) so it isn't the best -- they grow all over the place, through the grass too.

(that's one of our dog's bones in the middle, I don't know what it's doing there :roll: )

xx
any idea.....

Started by agapanthus on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 05:17
by agapanthus
xx
Any idea what tree this is please?

Started by AndyRVTR on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 09:03
by sunshineband
xx
Is this another daft idea?

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2020, 11:56
by Goosegirl
xx
Any Idea what Holly this is

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 21:22
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 34 queries.