Overgrown wisteria pruning advice please.

• 4 Replies

poultrygeist

Overgrown wisteria pruning advice please.
« on: May 29, 2009, 20:10 »
As per my previous thread, I'm trying to tame a garden for the RSPB and the showpiece is this wisteria...

I've read up and they talk about maintaining a couple of central stems with side branches every 12" or so and cutting these back to about 4 leaves after flowering. Since this has probably not been properly pruned for quite some time, should I just hack it to pieces in July/August or gradually cut some of it back, leaving the rest until next year ?

As you can see, it has several old, large stems with numerous side shoots all the way along. I think it must be several decades old.

Rob 8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Overgrown wisteria pruning advice please.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 20:51 »
It's lovely...doesn't look too out of control to me :D I'd just tidy it up as normal
In August/September cut back all this years long whippy growth to about a foot. Then have a look and see the general shape..if there's obviously a lump you want rid of...cut it back to a big/ger branch.
Then in February have another chop at the shoots you have already trimmed, cut them to about 2 or 3 buds. The fat ones are the flower buds so leave 4 if they are fat..more flowers :)
Any new long shoots should also be cut back to about 8 inches.
That'll tidy it up, next year at flowering you can see if you need to be more drastic :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 20:57 »
That sounds a lot easier than the articles I read MoS. Ta for that. Last thing I want to do is mutilate or kill it off. Wouldn't go down too well  :lol:

There's bits under the pergola sticking out all over the place. I think it'll look a lot better once those long shoots are reduced a bit.

Rob 8)

Ruby Red

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 22:28 »

Dont know if it will confuse but we have had one for 12 years and we remove all the whips around september , cut them right back. Then when all the leaves have dropped off about february, you get a clearer view of the plant. Every shoot then prune back to the first pair of buds. It may seem drastic but ours has looked beautiful for the last few years. Just another view.  ;)
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 23:16 »
I might do a light pruning, take some more photos and post up again for further opinion.
It may be that they'll want me to be cautious. I've no idea who's been tending it before.
Got a few months to pluck up courage  :lol:

Rob 8)

xx
wisteria pruning advice please.

Started by rink123 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2009, 15:17
by Flowerpower136
xx
Pruning wisteria

Started by Yorkie on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 10:30
by sunshineband
xx
Wisteria Pruning help

Started by dougens on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 27, 2022, 18:33
by Growster...
xx
Overgrown Hedge Advice

Started by lordthanatos on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post February 22, 2013, 21:43
by Lulu

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 29 queries.