Disappointing potatoes

• 14 Replies

Rich72

• Experienced Member
Disappointing potatoes
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:59 »
Dug up some my kestrel potatoes the other day. Decent sized spuds but only 3 per plant average. Seriously disappointed. Anyone else upset by their yields this year?

allot2learn

Re: Disappointing potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:04 »
Yup. I dug a 15' row of Kestrel this week and got 7lbs from them. I'll leaving the rest in the ground for a while yet.

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:25 »
I have another 12 plants left so I'm doing the same. Going to leave them as long as possible

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 16:24 »
I planted rocket the yield was ok took up a dozen plants and got about three stone ,
Then got the dreaded blight so the remaing one have had a hair cut today
I also noticed that a few have potatoes almost on the surface even though I planted six inches deep and kept on covering till mid april . Still you live and learn.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

grendel

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 19:57 »
all my spuds foliage has either rotted amongst the weeds or been eaten by the slugs, Today I dug the remaining 2 rows where the spuds had been and got a trug full of spuds, some had 3 or 4 big potatoes others had a dozen tiny ones, in total I must have had about 4 trugs full from about 6 rows of spuds, better than nothing(especially as some of the seed spuds used were organic veg box spuds that had started sprouting - I just threw them in to see and at least got some spuds from them (woudnt try it with supermarket spuds though.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 20:07 »
Our site is full of blight now, so all my spuds are already out.  Very low yields on the Arran Pilot and Charlotte, but the Anya were hugely productive.  Chitted and planted out at the same time, but they have obviously coped better with the weather.  I only had a few but wished I had planted a lot more.

The other productive one was a volunteer Kestral which I let grow and for a single plant, did pretty well  :)

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 20:43 »
My Lady Christl were really disappointing this year.   They tasted lovely and were the right size, but hardly any of them.   Picked the British Queens yesterday.  They fared a lot better, but normally would expect a bigger yield all the same.   Everyone is the same on our site.

dugless

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 21:22 »
It is the same on our allotments no one seems to have had a good yield :( :(
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 21:32 »
first bag of lady christl (5 seeds) - 7.5 lbs.  quite pleased.  Haven't weighed the Arran Pilot, but just over half a bucket from a bag the other day.  Haven't gone near the seconds yet.

Living in Hope

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 21:57 »
Almost all of my Winston have slug damage, worried what is happening to the main crop, maybe nothing left by September.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 22:47 »
My Swift were awful, 2 tasteless potatoes per plant, but the Charlottes (in the same bed) have so far been brilliant - 25 delicious potatoes from one plant. SO next year it's Charlottes all the way!

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 12:15 »
Finished digging up my British Queens yesterday. They were all very small and definitely not big enough for chips. I tried boiling some and they just fell to bits. I have a complete potato sack full of them. First time I have tried growing spuds and I’m so disappointed. I won’t be growing Queens again.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 16:30 »
try steaming them instead ;)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 16:40 »
Finished digging up my British Queens yesterday. They were all very small and definitely not big enough for chips. I tried boiling some and they just fell to bits. I have a complete potato sack full of them. First time I have tried growing spuds and I’m so disappointed. I won’t be growing Queens again.

That's a shame, I grew them a couple of years ago and in bags so the crop wasn't as good as it might have been by any means. Lovely flavour and they did make good chips.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 18:48 »

That's a shame, I grew them a couple of years ago and in bags so the crop wasn't as good as it might have been by any means. Lovely flavour and they did make good chips.

Although the yield was not all it might have been, I have found them to be delicious as mashed and jacket potatoes.

xx
Disappointing garlic

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 10:54
by mumofstig
xx
Bean disappointing

Started by mumsflowerpot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 11:19
by Aidy
xx
disappointing spuds

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 22:20
by Mrs Bee
xx
Disappointing brussels

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 20, 2012, 08:40
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 30 queries.