Disappointing brussels

• 10 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Disappointing brussels
« on: December 17, 2012, 22:28 »
I was so looking forward to eating my own brussels on the unmentionable day. I sowed them in April (Trafalgar), potted them on in May and then planted out at the start of June. The plants look really strong and healthy, good size, but the sprouts have just been sitting there not getting any bigger for weeks and weeks and weeks. They're not blown, they're a nice sort of shape, but they're just too flaming small and they're not growing. By the time I pulled off the outside leaves there'd be absolutely nothing left to eat.

What did I do wrong? They're not waterlogged, they're in a sheltered spot with netting over them and they've had 2 or 3 doses of BFB. Did I sow them or plant them out too late, not feed enough?

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: Disappointing brussels
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 23:20 »
dont quote me but i sow in jan and they go out in march 1st week

i boot them in hard

and i ve switched to a vareity that does not grow so high that way no wind rock etc

but i sow leeks as in seeds and brussels 1st weekend in jan then inthe gound  at the beginning of March

allot2learn

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:55 »
I've not had a single sprout off twelve plants. >:( Last year we had enough through till march.
I haven't done anything different other than crop rotation. I'm paying more attention to the PH levels for next year.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 20:52 »
Oh, and I also put a little bit of lime in the holes when planting them out, so they shouldn't have gone short of anything. I've had black kale and calabrese right next to them in the same bed, and they've all done well.

allot2learn

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 21:41 »
Oh, and I also put a little bit of lime in the holes when planting them out, so they shouldn't have gone short of anything. I've had black kale and calabrese right next to them in the same bed, and they've all done well.

I'm liming the whole bed next year. I've just ordered 3 x 20kgs of lime @ £3.70 per bag.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 21:43 »
How big's that bed???
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 22:51 »
There's an article on small sprouts (amongst other things) on the BBC News website.

Always forget if I can quote so here's the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20578937
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 23:32 »
I suppose I should feel quite lucky after hearing these tales of woe and looking at the BBC article.
I grew a few sprouts (in a raised bed) for the first time this year and have a goodly number on each stalk. They're small compared to bought ones but there should be enough for Christmas din-dins and a couple more meals. Maybe they get less waterlogged in a raised bed.
We've tried them already and although (of course) I prefer them organic and fresh from my garden they don't taste that different whereas kale, cabbage, psb etc. taste much better/stronger than bought.
Good to know I'm saving a bit of money..... 8)

allot2learn

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 00:49 »
How big's that bed???

Just investing in the future, mate. I buy when I can get it at the right price.  :blink:

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 06:39 »
You could have a trace element deficiency, Shokkyy.

I'm no expert, but some elements like Molybdenum and Iron, are still needed to promote healthy growth.

There's plenty to Gurgle on the subject, but it's too late  to do anything this year!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 08:40 »
I did also put down rock dust and seaweed meal over the whole bed at the start of the season, before planting anything, so that should have taken care of any trace elements.

xx
Disappointing garlic

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 10:54
by mumofstig
xx
disappointing spuds

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 22:20
by Mrs Bee
xx
Disappointing potatoes

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 18:48
by AnneB
xx
Bean disappointing

Started by mumsflowerpot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 11:19
by Aidy

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 29 queries.