Housing what is recommended?

• 27 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Housing what is recommended?
« on: August 03, 2014, 18:17 »
Ok I have been away for ages but now I have finally moved and not only that but have got a wonderful house in a tiny village with a lovely huge garden so now fingers crossed I can start seriously looking into and planning keeping chickens  :D

I am wondering what kind of housing is recommended? Does it matter or is it literally whatever suits the owner. I know size matters but am thinking more on wood v plastic etc?

Also what breed of chicken is best for the table? My son and I agree that we would want to have chickens for the table. I have also told him I want to keep ex battery hens as pets he is not so keen on this idea but it's kind of tough lol.

Many thanks in advance. Off to unpack John' book on chicken keeping if I can locate the right box  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Housing what is recommended?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:07 »
personally I prefer plastic coops as they are easier to clean and keep redmite free.
As for meat and ex batts do you want proper meat birds or a utility breed?
Ex batts will be vaccinated and some people do not like to mix the two. Proper meat birds are best kept separate from egg layers, all they seem to do is sleep, eat and pooh whereas egg layers like to wander around more :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 17:10 »
Also different feeding regime :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 18:29 »
personally I prefer plastic coops as they are easier to clean and keep redmite free.

Alternatively, you can use wood but use a filler to fill gaps, knotholes and at joints, then several coats of gloss paint especially inside the coop - I've had no problems with cleaning, touch wood still red mite free.

If you go for the cheap flat pack ones, be warned that the wood is not that thick so might not be warm enough during a particularly cold winter, and even with weather proof paint on the outside, they are easily damaged in the rain unless you have it under a covered run - 12 months on, my coop still looks good but I've seen some that have warped and fallen to bits.  It goes without saying that a second hand wooden coop may be harbouring red mite so not recommended.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:23 »
A good quality wooden coop that is cared for correctly will stand up to the weather. I Live in North Yorkshire and even with temperatures of -18 degrees a couple of years ago the chooks were fine in their duvets. :)

grinling

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 18:32 »
before thinking of free range check out the surrounding area for mr fox, sounds, smells, holes. Ask the locals.
Keep neighbours happy and do not go for cockerals.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:31 »
Even if there are no obvious signs of foxes it does not mean they are not there. Also foxes have chicken radar that will bring them to an area with chooks anyway. Underestimate foxes at your chooks peril! >:(

tuckers_luck

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 15:36 »
Hi. I personally would go for wood. We,ve kept poultry of all types for several years our most trouble free housings are large above head height sheds. Like double storey play sheds, or you can buy those big hen sheds six foot square, with a pitched roof and the door in the middle with pop holes either side . The important things are the height and the ventilated eaves. These are well above roost height so the hens don't get a cold draft, but also they don't live in a fugg on warm summer nights. The plus with this design seems to be No Mites! We've had them four years now and so far nothing. Maybe it helps that you are in and out of the door each day I don't know? but so far so good.
As regards the playhouse I use, it is 6'x8' and about 8' high, so quite big. I keep a mix of broilers and bronze turkeys in this every year, about fifteen of each . It has five windows on two levels and I removed the upper platform inside and put perches for the turkeys to use when they get older and the broilers are cleared. Again no mites and a room with a view for the birds on both levels . Most so called chicken houses look pretty but are far too small. Birds need some space to get in under cover when it's lashing down or cold and windy.
Another excellent option is a dog run shed. You can drop a carpet roll down across the mesh window bit at night or during storms. Another cosy roomy option for your birds and again you can get in it. even sit with your birds! Don't fall for the ads and buy a minature house affair  you will be burning it in a years time just to get rid of the mites we've been there many times .
Good luck regards Phil.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 17:53 »
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I didn't realise that table chooks were so different (I had not done any research as it was just a conversation with my son that got me thinking)

tuckers_luck could you post a pic of your set up for me?

Many thanks.

tuckers_luck

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 14:09 »
Hi will get out there with a camera when it stops raining  :D

tuckers_luck

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 16:25 »
Hello again. I noticed someone said something about crowing, don't worry about this, because by the time the boys are thinking of doing this, they will be in your oven or freezer! Also if you keep just the broilers they don't need roosts or perches too heavy to fly up without hurting themselves. I tried to put four pictures here but they wouldn't send . I have sent two to the gallery hopefully they will appear in due course. If they do appear I will send the others .Regards Philip.

tuckers_luck

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 18:44 »
Going to try a test photo :nowink:
6a010535647bf3970b019b0011e88c970b-800wi.jpg

tuckers_luck

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 19:25 »
I see that photo  sent OK so will try to resize the others
2014-08-10 14.03.48.jpg

tuckers_luck

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 19:34 »
I'll try another now!
2014-08-10 14.06.09.jpg

tuckers_luck

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 19:40 »
God I am really cr-- at this!
2014-08-10 14.06.57.jpg

xx
Recommended incubator?

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 03, 2015, 18:49
by Helenaj
xx
I was recommended a breed and can't remember the name correctly.....

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 20:12
by LivvyW
xx
Recommended Bantam Breeds, Old English Game?

Started by basildog on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 07:30
by basildog
xx
Hen housing

Started by pmw on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:58
by pmw

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 29 queries.