Are you enjoying or enduring the hot weather?

• 71 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Are you enjoying or enduring the hot weather?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 13:34 »
I'm coping - just - with the heatwave. What's flooring me is the hayfever. Between tree and grass throwing pollen into the air my days and nights are spent with itching eyes and blocked nose. A decent night's sleep would make all the difference.

At least the greenhouse shading wasn't a waste of time after all.

Do you not take anything for it? I find the Benadryl x 3 a day work the best for me
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

al78

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 16:40 »
I am enjoying the warm sunshine, but frustrated that the wretched south east weather is doing its one extreme or another thing again. Months of dull damp weather followed by two months of warm/hot, dry, no rain. What happened to the good old fashioned changeable British climate? It is getting tedious lugging 100 litres of water around every time I go to the plot just to stop everything from being dry roasted.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 17:36 »
I used to love hot weather but now I tend to only go outside if I have to, such as late evening when it's cooling down.

That's exactly how I feel. I used to be out in it all the time, but I now have the sun-damage brown marks on my face, hands and arms.
So like you I shall be creeping out later with the water cans.   8) 8) 8) Mrs Bouquet

Edited to fix quote.

Same  here ,   
Popped out earlier felt quite nippy , then the sun came through.  Adopting the Spanish approach , stay in doors and just happen to watch Germany sent packing in the football.  Wonderful!!  Evenings activities watering and taking four legged friends out .
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 18:53 »
Do you not take anything for it? I find the Benadryl x 3 a day work the best for me
The 1 a day pills lorretadine? - just not cutting it this year although usually sufficient. I'll give the Benadryl a try, thanks for the tip.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 19:01 »
The 1 a day pills lorretadine? - just not cutting it this year although usually sufficient. I'll give the Benadryl a try, thanks for the tip.

Have a chat with your Pharmacist , they may be able to help.

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 13:19 »
I am loving it. It seems to make life less complicated. You get out of bed, have a quick rinse, slip on a dress and ready to go.
In wintertime or other cold days I am in up to 5 layers, especially standing on the market. It sometimes feels so constructed..
I happily water my plant and yesterday I bought a petrol run pump! Yay.

I feel sorry for all the people who are struggling. Hold on strong people: rain will be here and we will mope about it.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 17:55 »
I definitely prefer to do any outside jobs early or late, and avoid the hottest part of the day. But I do like being able to go out for a bike ride late in the evening in just shorts & T-shirt. Car thermometer hit 32c this afternoon travelling along the M6 in Lancashire.

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 18:14 »
In the USA, they sell an equivalent to Benadryl - Tylenol.

Sister-in-law always brings a cwt over when she visits, and a couple of those knock you out in seconds, and you can have some fantastic dreams as well..;0)

As for me, I crashed out after lunch today, and am still waking up, so sleep patterns have gone out of the window for the rest of the week...

wighty

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 19:11 »
They don't make an antihistamine tablet that is lactose free so I have to take it in syrup form, the syrup is also used for e pileptic children to calm them down so at the moment I feel like a zombie!   I don't leave the house until after about 8pm   and I have all the windows and doors shut. So, I am not enjoying it at all!

lettice

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 07:53 »
Loving it.
What is there not to like being outside in scorching heat.
Put on a hat, a dab of sun screen shorts and t-shirt and enjoy your gardening and plenty of late evenings on the patio with loads of sport and the world cup to watch outside too at the moment.

Could do with a little appearance of some rain, but the daily garden hosing is enjoyable too in this weather.
Just set it to mist a few times and point upwards over yourself, wonderful.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 09:04 »
One local downside is the moorland peat fires. We are at least 30 miles west of Saddleworth, & Winter Hill where a second fire has broken out. From local viewpoints the smoke has been visible on the horizon. Last night, with a light easterly wind, you could smell the smoke on the air. Not strong, but definitely there, and reported across the area.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 10:04 »
I was watching the peat fires on the news - couldn't help thinking if they dug firebreak strips it would have helped in controlling the fires and could even have covered the cost by selling the peat.
Happily around here the farmers still burn off the gorse in the spring - this gives the sheep lots of young gorse shoots to eat later and prevents the big gorse fires seen in some areas of Wales in previous years as uncut gorse becomes a fire hazard.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 10:18 »
HATE IT
#HATE
#HATE

I love cooler weather like we get in December, or January  :D

Even my wife who lurves hot weather has had enough, well when I say had enough what I actualy mean is she has had enough of opening the fridge door to find my undies for the next day cooling down  ;)

If this ends up like 76 I will be theeee grumpest middle aged man going  :mad:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 12:43 »
I will be theeee grumpest middle aged man going  :mad:

I thought you'd already laid claim to that title  :lol: :lol:

Living on the beach, I thought you'd be used to holiday weather  ::)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 13:11 »
I don't dislike it, but the wind is blowing so hard, that some stuff has blown over or snapped off.
It is pulling leaves off the tree and shrubs, and the dust is swirling everywhere.  But I guess it would be REALLY hot without it.  I have lugged so much water, that its triggered off my carpal tunnel,  so a wrist injection for me Monday morning.  Feel quite weary, not sleeping much (at the right time  ::) ::))  Off for a sit down now.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
Enjoying autumn sunshine

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 14:40
by snowdrops
xx
Enjoying the fruits of your labours

8 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 15:50
by sunshineband
xx
What was your weather like

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post December 04, 2019, 11:06
by Goosegirl
xx
What’s the weather like where you are? 2024

541 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 12:16
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 48 queries.