Are you enjoying or enduring the hot weather?

• 71 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Are you enjoying or enduring the hot weather?
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2018, 07:49 »
I hope you all stay safe John, let us know as soon as you can
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2018, 09:40 »
Thanks Paul - it's so debilitating when it hits. Happily it's easing off a bit now as the type of pollen changes. I think grass and tree pollens are what really get to me.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 10:23 »
When they say tinder dry, they mean it!
Behind us the hills are alight as the gorse is burning - lots of sirens, fire engines and helicopters

That all looks a bit worrying - I got used to seeing wild fires in Greece, but not in the UK  :ohmy:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 10:53 »
I don't think we were in any danger here but they evacuated some people nearer to the fire. It was out by 1 am  - at least there were no flames visible from here.

Demonstrates the importance of regular controlled gorse burning - thing is the economics of farming have changed and many of the farmers don't bother now. Some of the fields around here have been done but not all.

The helicopters were going over until it went fully dark - I think they were dumping water. Low, slow and very noisy.

Goosegirl

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2018, 12:34 »
John - haven't heard about any heath fires in Wales, only the ones near Bolton Lancs. Land management such as the controlled burning of gorse and heather is essential to maintain the land for the use of wildlife and farmers alike, as is selected tree-cutting and draining ditches to prevent flooding on fields and in homes.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2018, 13:32 »
The thing is many of the sheep hill farmers are getting on and the economics are such that they can't pay people to do what used to be done. The kids have more sense than to work the hours 7 days a week for a pittance. Fact is that the farmers used to manage the commons and if they stop.. well shall we pay for schools, care homes or land management?

Goosegirl

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2018, 13:47 »
You've made some good points there John. Maybe it's time for people who own massive estates such as the Duke of Westminster and those who have other Dutchy estates such as Prince Charles to lend a hand.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2018, 10:32 »
We saw another huge plume of smoke and there was a smell of wood smoke in the air all day yesterday. Not sure what was going on but a fire engine was down by our gate filling his tank from the hydrant before heading off with blue lights going.

Apparently the fire over in Bethesda was hardly out before 4 teenagers tried to set it going again. I just don't understand that.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2018, 12:10 »
 :ohmy: what a teenage laugh, it is these situations, that make oldster like me, think how that could be used to help bring these youngsters to understanding the damage and cost they are causing.   Could they be made to help in some way - No of course not, parents would deny that their babies could do such dreadful things.
So not only is the fire getting out of control, but so are the kids.   >:( Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2018, 12:23 »
we are having fun and games here too, the smoke from the moorland fire at Winter Hill often blows over, last weekend we had two local fires, one on Lytham Green and one on the Sands Dunes between St.Annes and Blackpool
lytham green.jpg
dunes.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2018, 13:00 »
It isn't just the kids - we get a lot of walkers, clutching their plastic bottles of water like unweaned toddlers. Finished the water? Drop the bottle and walk on. Sun hits the bottle, focuses the sun like a magnifying glass and next thing is another fire.

Yes, I've been put in for the Victor Meldrew award - why do you ask? :)

Growster...

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2018, 20:21 »
"I don't believe it..."!

Yes I do, John.

Serial yobs and cretins just shove rubbish anywhere, because they're just trash themselves.

I regularly pick up a fag packet and a sandwich container from outside our gate, just lobbed out by - presumably - the same mental lightweight.

Par for the course where idiots are involved.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2018, 23:18 »
I suppose they don't connect their bottles with a fire hazard but we live in a beautiful area next to a national park, so why despoil it with litter? I can understand it with teenagers (they're not civilised) but these are adults who have paid to visit the area. Maybe you're right - sadly.
Serial yobs and cretins just shove rubbish anywhere, because they're just trash themselves.

snowdrops

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2018, 08:18 »
But all those yobs,teenagers etc have parents & grandparents who should have taught them better, so who to blame, not always the ‘younger’ generation in my opinion.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2018, 15:14 »
We have just had three young uns set fire to a field at Farmer Parrs in Fleetwood, fortunately the public jumped in and manage to contain the fire until the fire brigade arrived so non of the aniamls were injured/ killed, there is now a mass man hunt going on for those lads!
Again some young lads on Tueday were trying to set fire to some grass opposite the practice, again people are on the look out for them too.

xx
Enjoying the fruits of your labours

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 15:50
by sunshineband
xx
Enjoying autumn sunshine

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 14:40
by snowdrops
xx
What was your weather like

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post December 04, 2019, 11:06
by Goosegirl
clip
weather proverbs

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2021, 19:14
by wighty

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 52 queries.