germination

• 8 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
germination
« on: March 05, 2010, 20:06 »
hi, im still new to the grow your own scene, i sowed some tom and chilli seeds and the packet said they should take between 7 and 21 days to germinate, nothing seemed to happen so after a month i sowed some more but i left the old ones just incase. after 33 days some of the toms and one of the chillis have germinated, i have bot had much success only 8 out of 70 seeds have germinated but are doing well. I was just wondering how long do your seeds usually take to germintate?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: germination
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 20:10 »
toms can easily come up within a few days but peppers can take a lot longer :(

Please can you tell us how and where you sowed your seeds, so we can see what may be going wrong :unsure:

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 20:16 »
the first lot i sowed in modules on the windowsill above a radiator it had no lid for approx 3 weeks then i put a lid on, i didnt realise it needed one at first! the second lot i sowed in modules with a lid then after a week i bought a heated propagator so i put them into that. still not had any germinate from the second lot and they were sown on the 21st feb.

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 20:20 »
I sowed some sutton broad beans on the 13th of feb in 3 inch pots(2 to each pot). They are in a plastic greenhouse and have been kept moist but still no sign of anything. Do they usually take this long to germinate.

ps sorry to butt in, its just along the same lines and I dont want to start multiple threads.
Woooooooooooooo

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 20:27 »
feel free the more people that post the more i learn! its all still new to me i only got my jungle plot i november last year and with the weather ive not done much more than clearing and tidying, there is so much to take on board im scared of getting it all wrong!  :wacko:

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 20:38 »
With this cold weather my B Beans have taken about a month to show their heads. They are in a cold greenhouse (I mean cold, it has several panes missing).
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

andy135

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 21:25 »
I sowed my B beans in newspaper tubes, placed them in a box on a front bedroom (north facing) window sill. They all came up in 14 days. I was quite surprised as I hadn't expected 100% germination from a packet of B & Q's.  ::)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 21:29 »
Hi Kingshesii

Its not a multiple thread its a new one, as BBs aren't related to toms and chillies and have different germination requirements. Please feel free to start a new topic if you still need to, It helps others who may have the same query.

For the original post, toms and chillies - although they say that it can be 7 to 21 days for germination, this can vary enormously, I think you have been a wee bit hasty! It does depend on the temp, soil, watering and the seed itself.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

sclarke624

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 21:34 »
I have had trouble germinating before (past three years) with the usual pepper I germinate which is T&M "orange gourmet" even when a new packet.  Year three I tried T&M orange bell as well, they germinated much quicker and better.

This time I used Johnsons world kitchen Sweet Romano and Fothergills California Wonder.  I did do some Gourmet again.  Most are up after two weeks except Gourmet again.

Also this time I more or less just laid the seeds on the surface and didn't cover them.  Previously I have covered with compost, covered with cling film and tried in the airing cupboard, none of which were as successful as this years.  The conservatory is heated and south facing so can get hot in there and is very well lit.

So I won't be getting Gourmet again but will use the ones that germinated well this time.  And it all may end in disaster but laying them on top of the soil with a little push in seemed to work better as well.

Sometimes I think its the variety to blame for being slow and stubborn.  Even the same variety from a different supplier can sometimes be difficult.  For instance Black Cherry toms, mine were really difficult to do last year, yet others had no probs.  The other toms were fine.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Pea Germination.

Started by shedmeister on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 10:34
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
Zero PSB Germination

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 09:20
by mumofstig
xx
Germination

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 10:40
by JayG
xx
Germination

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 19:22
by Mark's Sussex Allotment

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 34 queries.