sweetcorn up north

• 28 Replies

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
sweetcorn up north
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:39 »
is it to cold up north to grow sweetcorn as last year i planted a load and nothing happened, is it to cold up in northumberland to grow sweetcorn successfully?

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: sweetcorn up north
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:58 »
I'm in Manchester and started my crop too late. Although my plants were pitifully short and the cobs a bit smaller than 'shop bought', I got a respectable and extremely tasty crop. Others grew very respectable crops and, to my knowledge, only one chap failed.

I'd go for it.  :)

andy135

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:21 »
I'm planning putting my sweetcorn in newspaper tubes, and hardening them off in my coldframe. I'll get my 1st early spuds up as early as possible, then replace with the corn. Hopefully they'll have enough time left to give me a return.

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:51 »
Well the fields round here are covered in the stuff in september - there's even a place up the road that has a 'maize maze' every year.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:53 »
My Dad used to grow it very successfully in Glasgow.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:55 »
'maize maze'.

I wonder how long it took them to think that one up?

:lol:

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 13:15 »
would it be better to start it off in a green house rather than sowing directly

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 13:23 »
Only time I almost failed with sweetcorn here in Sheffield was the year I neglected feeding the plants (my soil is very sandy and nutrients leach away quickly). Other than that I can only offer the advice I gave in another sweetcorn thread yesterday:

I don't bother chitting as I have always had excellent germination using fresh seed.

I sow indoors in paper pots about 3-4 weeks before I aim to plant them out which shouldn't be too early as sweetcorn is a big "sulker" if it's too cold and dull for them.

As to when it depends to some extent where you live but I agree with DD that early June is probably soon enough.

Hungry plants, no need to cover but if your site is windy they might need some support (I put a cane at each corner of the block and tie string round and diagonally through them).
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Cazzy

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 13:26 »
I start mine off either in the greenhouse or at home and plant out around late May/early June.

I've grown it twice now, first time I had a fantastic crop, last year they were mostly successful with a few growing 2 or3 stalks instead of one.  I don't think that had anything to do with the climate though.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

bigben

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 13:32 »
As another person from Sheffield (who actually comes from a bit further North - Newcastle) I think you will be able to grow sweetcorn up there. I was visiting Lindisfarne over last summer and noticed someone had a big table laid out selling all his produce grown on the island. He had some brilliant veg and when I looked at some of the gardens I noticed another person with really big sweetcorn. My other half was surprised that they were able to grow it on an island that gets more than its fair share of wind. He probably did start it indoors as I do but plant it out late May or early June and give it a go. I think the North East does get more sunshine than we do in Sheffield even though it may be a little cooler. My father managed to grow much better outdoor toms in Newcastle than I did in Sheffield.

ROYAL=BD=

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 13:42 »
Hi , last year i used sweetcorn from W.robinsons&son.
they are F1 sweet corn & they state:
 " Extra sweet long cobs. Performs well under cooler conditions"
i had a great crop last year & i have 10 just popping up now & will sow another 10 in 2-3 weeks time.........some will say its far to early ! .. but it worked last year 8)
just go to the seeds & plants section & you will see them under sweetcorn  :blink:
http://www.mammothonion.co.uk/index.htm

good luck
ROYAL ( north lincolnshire)

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 14:08 »
Hi Royal. I live near Robinson's and bought some of their sweetcorn seeds the other day. I have had success with cropping in the past and I usually sow in the cold greenhouse in individual pots (2 seeds per pot and remove the weaker one carefully) sometime in April so they can be planted out in May as we tend to get the first really warm spell then.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Christine

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 17:41 »
is it to cold up north to grow sweetcorn as last year i planted a load and nothing happened, is it to cold up in northumberland to grow sweetcorn successfully?
You need to dig in lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of well rotted manure as sweetcorn is a very hungry feeder.

I'm not too far from you (well as the crow flies) and one of the allotment holders up here does very well with his sweetcorn. He starts it off in greenhouse and then plants out - but you want to see him shovelling the manure into the patch where it's going to go.  :D

Oh and a bit of shelter from high winds is good as well as a sunny spot it seems.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 20:34 »
I have grown sweetcorn very successfully in Glasgow for the last few years using this method taken from my website:-
Sow indoors in heat, at 20 C, on top of the compost to prevent the seed rotting, in individual cells in late April. Remember that there is no point in sowing the seed too early, or the plants will become too big before you can plant them out into their final growing positions, when danger of frost has passed. Move the plants to a cooler frost free location such as a cold frame to harden off before planting out in their final positions.

Plant out in June in a sunny, sheltered position, when all danger of frost is past in your area. In Northern areas, I would recommend continuing to provide cloche protection for the first month or so, to counter the effects of late frosts or cold winds.The ground should be well fertilized with organic matter, and the plants kept well watered, particularly while the tassels are growing, pollination is taking place and the cobs are filling

solway cropper

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 23:13 »
Loads of it grown commercially in north Cumbria so I'd suggest your only problem might be choosing the right variety.

xx
Best and tastiest sweetcorn for the North

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 20:22
by Snoop
xx
Sweetcorn - how far north have we managed to grow it

Started by MulesMarinair on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 23:16
by mucky pup
xx
north to south

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2015, 11:54
by surbie100
xx
North East

Started by drythropple on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2006, 16:24
by startiger

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 37 queries.