Sick chicken - any suggestions?

• 10 Replies

Smashedcrab

Sick chicken - any suggestions?
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:27 »
I have a sick chicken which has just visited the vet.  Her symptoms are weight loss, gaping mouth and gurgling breathing. Her poo is also quite runny.

The vet wasn't sure about the diagnosis and proposed a blanket treatment covering worming and respiratory treatment, however when the vet contacted the supplier of the respiratory treatment about eating the eggs (as the vet's book said that eggs must never be eaten by a chicken that had been treated) the manufacturer said that the eggs must never be sold, but we (my family) can eat them.

I'm now very dubious about giving this respiratory treatment (I don't know what it is called because the vet is ordering it for me to arrive tomorrow) as I don't know if it is safe to eat the eggs if they are not fit to be sold.  Any suggestions? Should I have my chicken put down?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Sick chicken - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:37 »
it really depends on what the treatment is - for example some strengths of baytril aren't licensed for poultry so the manufacturers cover their own backs by saying never to eat the eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:38 »
The respiratory infection will be treated with an antibiotic.  There are very few antibiotics that are licensed for use in poultry but the vet can use them under their discretion.

The fact that they are not licensed means that test have not been done to see how much and where the antibiotic goes to in the bird.

When you know what antibiotic your chook is given do repost the information here and other keepers will let you know what their opinions are regarding that antibiotic.  For most antibiotics, though, a two week withdrawal of eggs after the finish of the course is quite adequate to flush any antibiotic residues from the bird.

I certainly wouldn't have the bird put down if she can be cured.

EDIT:  Just what Joyfull said too :)

Smashedcrab

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:45 »
Thanks for that - I'm going to call the vet now and find out what its called

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:57 »
... and the concentration and dose !

Smashedcrab

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 13:01 »
The antibiotic is called Baytril. The vet said the dosage is very small (I think she said about .25mls or maybe 1.25mls and her other branch has it in stock but would have to give me a larger amount because it would be very hard to draw up such a small quantity). The vet suggested egg withdrawal for 6 weeks but I must not sell the eggs. I'm still dubious as I wouldn't want to give my toddlers eggs that are 'unfit for sale'.

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 13:59 »
I have never used Baytril - I always get Aureomycin or Tylan, both of which are licensed and no withdrawal after the course has finished. I also have had Denegard which again is licensed and had a 2 week withdrawal.
Baytril though is widly used and most advise a 4 week withdrawal.

Smashedcrab

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 14:34 »
I think I'm going to ask my vet about prescribing Aureomycin, as I've just read something about Baytril being banned in the US because it can cause a lifelong problem that the chicken's egg, if not fully cooked, can cause a strain of food poisoning which is very hard to cure!  :(

God I sound like a hypercondriac!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 14:41 by Smashedcrab »

Smashedcrab

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 17:21 »
I have just spoken to the vet. She said that she looked up Aureomycin but found conflicting info.  She said she found it was not to be given to layers, although it was a suitable antibiotic, and it could not be obtained in small quantities. Although the vets said they look after chickens , this particular vet said she didn't know that much about them and therefore consulted the internet like me.

Does anyone know if you can get small quantities of Aureomycin, and do you know if it is ok to give to laying chickens?

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 18:03 »
if they don't treat many then you would have to buy the whole tub (i did and kept it in my chickens medicine chest) and it can be given to layers. Tylan is another broad spectrum antibiotic for poultry but again you will have to buy the tub. Denaguard is another and this can be also given along with the others in severe cases where they don't recover from just one but this cost me over £70 for the bottle several years ago.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 18:31 »
My vet always used to prescribe Baytril for my chooks and said a two week egg withdrawal after the end of the treatment was fine.

It's entirely up to you though :)

xx
my chicken has started limbing today, any suggestions??

Started by welshdingo on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 13:50
by TonyW
xx
sick chicken

Started by 6girls on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 11:21
by bantam novice
xx
Sick Chicken ???

Started by mansekat on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 20:49
by Aunt Sally
xx
sick chicken, help please

Started by bluebirds love chickens on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 18:43
by bluebirds love chickens

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 33 queries.