Is she broody???

• 2 Replies

Gemjt

Is she broody???
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:10 »
Hello everyone,

Lewis - our little pekin bantam has layed a few eggs (litterally a few) and now insists on spending most of her time sitting on the nesting area where all the other girls lay their eggs.... I think this may be broody??? what is puzzling me is that she sits their regardless of whether there are any eggs and doesn't appear to have lost feathers underneath (which I thought was a classic sign of being broody)..... 
I know Bantams can get quite broody - but do you think I have hit the nail on the head here?  She doesn't like me touching her when she is on the nest - makes a little purry, clucky kind of noise and sticks her bottom in the air.....

Ok - so.... next question.... if she is broody - what do I do about it?  I have had her for a couple of months and she only started laying a few weeks ago so is still very young. 
Karl, Lewis, Jensen & Guy.... all Girl chickens named after t'husbands hero's (and one of mine)....... Rossi and Murdoch....all Girl cats - again, named after t'husbands hero's!  the things you  have to agree to when you want new pets!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Is she broody???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:16 »
yes she is broody  :)
Do you want chicks? can you deal with any cockerels that will hatch?
if not then either keep lifting her out of the nest box every 10 mins or pop her along with some food and water into a wire dog cage, this should get her out of this state of mind in a few days.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Gemjt

Re: Is she broody???
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18 »
Ah - thanks Joyful...... helpful as ever.  I will keep lifting her out then....  my legs are going to get nice and strong running to the coop all day thats for sure!

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 30 queries.