Frost damage on my stored spuds

• 11 Replies

Lee G

• Experienced Member
Frost damage on my stored spuds
« on: December 19, 2010, 14:57 »
I have 2 larges sacks of spuds in storage in my shed, same place I've stored them the past 2 years.  However, when I took some out earlier it appears that they have been damaged by frost, presumably during the really cold spell recently.

Now I've started the process of sorting them, 1 sack had 8 kilos of very soft spuds which are clearly no good for anything except composting.  Whats left seem ok to the naked eye, however, upon peeling some are slightly discoloured.  Are these destined for the compost heap too or are they still edible?

Fingers crossed for good news, I might cry if I end up losing over 50 kilos of my precious spuds, this year was easily the best results I'd had in my 3 years on the plot. 

diggerjoe

Re: Frost damage on my stored spuds
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 16:16 »
Same here Lee G I packed mine round with layers of carpet and cardboard and had  the top layer covered with insulating felt that also covered my pumpkins - the pumpkins froze and the top tray of spuds looked a bit wet so I took them into the house  and three days later we couldn't figure out the what the strange smell was - the lot had gone rotten - I have checked rest of mine and fingers crossed  seem ok- I've used frost damaged one before but found they tasted odd. I hope most of yours are ok - like you last year they were ok and I thought it was colder last year!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 16:29 »
Ditto,  8)ditto,  8)ditto.  8) However, if you carefully peel the soft spuds and boil them, they aren't that bad.  Just thinking of my poor back so I'm loath to chuck them out.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 17:11 »
Anything subjected to continuous below-freezing temperatures (i.e. night and day) will eventually freeze no matter how well insulated I'm afraid, and I suspect that is what many of us have experienced at least once in the last few weeks in our sheds, greenhouses and other unheated places.  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 17:28 »
ime glad I'm e not the only one who has lost spuds with frost damage a quarter of my spuds are spoilt  i put them in plastic sacks  [not a plastic bag] then the bag into a thick hessian sack  on the greenhouse bench  not on the floor  :unsure:

i usually put my spuds in a plastic drum on a pallet covered with sacks i thought i would try another way this year my own fault should have kept to my usual storing method please kick my a....s for being so stupid should have known better  >:( >:(

so Iv'e learnt one to grow red spuds on the lottie as they do better that White's and two to go back to my original storage method next year :)

savbo

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 18:28 »
didn't know until I read John's book that cold spuds get an odd sweet flavour but that it goes away after a week in normal temperatures...

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 22:54 »
That's why I only grow earlies  :)

I get maincrop from a farm down the road in 20kg sacks and keep them in the utility room. That way they never get frosted.

Mind you, this weather is exceptional. When we had mild winters (seems like a long time ago) I kept tatties in the shed and they were OK.

Melwel77

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 20:22 »
Same here :(  I brought some spuds in from the shed today and tonight noticed spradic dark grey/purple patches on the tuber once peeled, almost like bruising.  Once the marks were sliced off I chipped them.  They looked ok and tasted fine, tho I thought they were a little sweet.  Presumably they are ok to eat (well I'm still here!)?  Does anybody know how they will survive storage from here - ie, will they just steadily get worse and rot in the shed, or, if I bring them into the house, might that stop it getting worse?

Many thanks, and all the best for Christmas, Melwell

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 20:22 »
Not sure
Does anybody know how they will survive storage from here - ie, will they just steadily get worse and rot in the shed, or, if I bring them into the house, might that stop it getting worse?

I don't know the answer to your question but mine are now permanently in the kitchen while this cold snap lasts, and I will try to check them regularly to see if any more spoil in the meantime.

Merry Christmas to you too - and everyone else here.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 20:57 »
 Lost the lot now. It's my own fault I should have put them in the Utility room and not the shed. The O/H bought two bags today for Christmas :( :(

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 21:03 »
  Presumably they are ok to eat (well I'm still here!)?  Does anybody know how they will survive storage from here - ie, will they just steadily get worse and rot in the shed, or, if I bring them into the house, might that stop it getting worse?

Bring them into the house, but I'd keep a daily eye on them to be honest - once they start rotting its so easily spread.  Good luck
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 22:39 »
This weather has caught many people out. It is so cold that storing them in your shed or garage is no longer an option. You must keep them in the house and that will be the only safe place. If your spuds have been frosted then bringing the spuds indoors will show up the frozen ones quicker.

I had a great idea about selling spuds for eating direct to your door for Christmas. Thank god I did not do it as they would be mush :lol:
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

xx
Stored Potatoes problem - are they frost bitten?

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 12:46
by Aidy
xx
Frost damage

Started by BNN on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 16:35
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Frost damage

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 23:57
by Dan78
xx
Frost Damage - Anything I can do ?

Started by Leapyear on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 17:30
by lee79

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 29 queries.