Sick Leeks

• 6 Replies

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
Sick Leeks
« on: September 07, 2009, 20:36 »
I've just found out that all my leeks are seriously infested with the larvae of the leek moth, which according to the RHS online info has no effective remedy. :(
I'm afraid i've been ignoring them recently as they are tucked away in a corner and i've been busy elsewhere so i'm shocked how bad they look.  I'm going to pull them all up tomorrow.  My question is, once i've cut all the yucky bits off, can i freeze them.  I thought i'd just slice up the white bits, bag up and chuck in the freezer.  Any advice is appreciated :)  Also will this be a recurring problem from now on.  I'm obviously planning to grow leeks in a different bed next year, but should i plant under mesh to be on the safe side.  I thought leeks would be trouble free!!  How wrong.... :nowink:

beansticks

Re: Sick Leeks
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 22:29 »
Yes you can freeze them. :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:31 »
But do seal them well or you'll soon notice an oniony smell in your freezer that will permeate into fruits, cakes, breads, etc.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:26 »
I too have the same problem, last year I left  the leeks in the ground and peeledevery one,then squashed all the little blighters! The leeks looked dreadful when I had finished, but they soon ressurected and I had some lovely leeks at the end of it!

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:02 »
Thanks for the replies.  The leeks are now out and there is a huge vat of leek and potato soup simmering on the stove.  The bed is dug over so hopefully the birds will come and help clear up any beasties.  Also noticed it has got into my chives and spring onions planted close by. >:(

rickman

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 13:25 »
Having discovered the same issue with my own leeks >:( I was chatting to one of the other plot holders about it, he passed on a snippet that one of the older chaps had given him as a tip (he says it works and predates easily available chemicals):
       Cut the foliage off the leek as far down as necessary to get below the moth grubs, this may be almost ground level depending on how far they have got into the leek, for some it may not be far enough, better to lose a few rather than all. Leeks being a collection of leaves effectively growing from a base will just keep growing.

It may slow them down a bit but I thought it worth a try and reduced all my leeks in stature quite dramatically over the weekend, I will report back any future success or failure.
Andy

rickman

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 21:20 »
Severely pruned leeks have all made 2-3 inches of growth in the last week, bug free growth I am glad to say, some of these old tricks really do appear to be worth a try. :) ;)

xx
sick courgettes

Started by MarkG on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 23:08
by MarkG
xx
my cucumbers look sick will they die?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 23, 2007, 21:55
by vegging out
clip
Sick looking Tom Leaves

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 18:04
by Dai
xx
Rhubarb (a sick one)

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 21:40
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 30 queries.