chives

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

chives
« on: April 09, 2019, 08:54 »
we dug up a raised bed full of chives yesterday that had got out of hand there where many chive plants to replant in a new bed actually to many but they needed sorting as they where full of couch grass so we intend to pot them up and I wanted to ask should I cut back the chives to say about an inch high when I replant and add a little fertilizer to the mix?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: chives
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 08:59 »
They don't mind being cut back, but may not flower if you do it now, depends whether they're just for eating or not.
They don't need rich soil, so only add a little fertiliser.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 09:00 »
You don't need to cut them back unless they are a bit wilty, although they may flower much later if you do decide toThey grow new leaves fairly quickly if you have to, and a little bit of something like Blood Fish & Bone would settle them in nicely

Chives do think they own the place, don't they? I love seing a whole bed edge of them, with bes buzzing over the pink flowers... juts lovely :D

(Oh, MoS beat me to it  :lol:)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:01 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 09:32 »
I inherited Chives everywhere ! on one of my plots.   Now I just have a nice big pot of them  :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 11:10 »
We had them in a bed near the house and they self seeded all over the place. The trouble was we had a crazy pave patio and the seeds got into the gaps between slabs and they keep coming up every year even though I try to lever them out. I don't want to use weed killer on them, and to be honest, they're not that much trouble. Its quite nice, when you're having a sandwich on the patio, to lean over and pull a few to supplement your lunch!

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 20:42 »
I sowed garlic chives yesterday. I hope to  plant alternately with normal chives as an edging.
I have never tasted them but I suppose they will have a "garlicky" flavour?

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 23:34 »
From my pot growing days, I used to divide chive clumps every couple of years but found by year 4 they didnt have the flavour they once had, so after year 2 id divide and year 4 I let the plants flower and take the seeds to resow the following year, taste is much fuller and fresher in my opinion.

lettice

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 08:53 »
I sowed garlic chives yesterday. I hope to  plant alternately with normal chives as an edging.
I have never tasted them but I suppose they will have a "garlicky" flavour?

Gralic chives are a flat leaf.
They do have a very delicate garlicky flavour. They are often called chinese chives.
Many people grow garlic chives for the flowers in cut flower packs and the flowers are often used by chefs as part of those edible flowers.

For propagting normal chives, have done this many times, just put a spade through the middle and plant the clump.
Would not cut them right down now, as this is the time they are pushing through their growth for the year. If you need some chives for the kitchen, cut a portion off, not the whole clump.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 10:52 »
You can also eat garlic chives as a vegetable - I saw this on a Japanese cooking show.  You use tongs and blanch a bundle of them in boiling water for just a few seconds, refresh in cold water and squeeze dry.  They are quite a good garlic flavour and can be chopped to eat cold with a bit of soy sauce (or lemon if you prefer) or incorporated into other dishes.  They are good with anything cheese sauce based.

I have quite a lot as I have an edging row of them for a couple of fruit trees on the plot, so I cut bunches to eat because I can  :)  The flowers attract a lot of insects.  They self seed like normal chives btw, so I cut the flower stalks off once they are over ;)

xx
Chives

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 17:16
by WG.
xx
Chives

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 21:14
by pushrod
xx
Chives - can they be planted out?

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 14:36
by Maryann
xx
growing chives

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 17:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 39 queries.