Peahen laying on perch

• 4 Replies

Psychopenny

Peahen laying on perch
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:50 »
Hello, am hoping that someone will have experience of peafowl to advise me on this.
When I got my first ever pair of peafowl last ear, they had been kept in an inappropriate aviary with very little space.  As a result, the owner told me, the hen had got into the habit of laying while on her perch, with resultant egg-splat!
I keep them in a large enclosure with plenty of space.  They have two high perches and one low perch, but generally prefer the highest one.  I have also put in two "nest boxes" of different designs (informed by experienced breeders) so she can choose which she prefers. 

However, she has just started to lay and .....   SPLAT from the highest perch.

Am planning to put a net under the perch, but would appreciate any ideas as to how to persuade her to do the decent thing a use a nest box.

splash101

Re: Peahen laying on perch
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:44 »
I dont have any experience of peafowl so probably not much help but have you seen them showing any interest in the nest boxes at all? and what nesting material is in there? You may have to change the material, to what though i dont know.

If you do manage to save an egg, you could try putting the eggs in the nest box to encourage her to use it.

Do you know how old they are? It maybe just that they are inexperienced.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:01 »
you can buy fake eggs - these can be pot, plastic and rubber. Try and get some that are a similar size and place them in the nest box to give them an idea of where to lay  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Psychopenny

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 13:22 »
Only one peahen mature enough to lay, and she is th eone who lived elsewhere before. 

Straw in nest boxes as recommended by another breeder.  Any other ideas appreciated.

Putting fake eggs in the nest box: Such a simple and obvious idea, thank you so much.  I will certainly try.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 17:22 »
If you know what time she usually lays you could try putting her in the nest box and blocking the entrance so she has to sit for a while.  Hopefully she will get the message after a while.  The only other thing I can think of is to put her in a pet carrier overnight with nesting material.  If she lays first thing in the morning she might realise that she is meant to lay in a nest.

Good luck.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

question
To perch or not to perch..........

Started by Diggit on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 23:06
by CluckyChicken
xx
To perch or not to perch

Started by alancane on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 22:43
by alancane
xx
Photo of perch in the run

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 13:15
by LittleRedHen
xx
Who says Chickens are stupid... (further adventures of girls that won't perch)

Started by rufty on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 15:55
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 29 queries.