Poll

Do you chickens have/use a perch?

Yes, they love to perch.
No, they have a perch but rarely use it.
They don't have a perch.

To perch or not to perch..........

• 15 Replies

Diggit

To perch or not to perch..........
« on: December 29, 2010, 21:13 »
After looking through dozens and dozens of different coops and plans online it seems that the biggest decision is whether or not to build a perch into the coop. I had assumed that the birds would NEED one, but on looking and reading it seems that they may not. In the planning stage I'm thinking that it's a big thing to decide when working on plans for a small coop to house only 2-3 hens as perching space would change the design drastically.

Any ideas for and against or does it not really matter? The coop floor will be off of the floor (if that makes a difference?)

Thanks in advance...
Paul

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: To perch or not to perch..........
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 21:15 »
chickens should always use a perch - some need training to use one. They can suffer with bacterial infections if they dont perch as well as the eggs getting covered in pooh.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Diggit

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 21:37 »
That's what I thought, but having a look around lots of coops it seems that a lot don't have any perching space. Even the coop in the Poultry Pages video doesn't appear to have any?

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 22:53 »
I certainly would be in favour of at the very least making a perch available so the birds can do their instinctive thing which is to find a safe 'up' place to roost. Bear in mind that you should make the perch removable for cleaning as the dreaded RED MITE love to hide in the perch ends during the day and if the perch is a permanent fixture you will have a devil of a task to get at them to kill them. Also if it is removable and you find your hens won't perch and you are prepared to keep the house spotless then you can remove it.

mr.mellow

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 13:13 »
I have four hens two perch and two dont, sometimes three will perch. I must have some happy hens as I have been getting four eggs a day, only dropping to three about every eight days.  ;)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 13:29 »
It's natural for them to perch, like Joyful says some need training. Long term I think it has plenty of benefits, poo collection is easy, their not sitting in it overnight. No mucky eggs etc.

Make sure you perch is not too high or give them a ladder to help prevent them hurting their feet. Nice and smooth, 3" wide seemed to suit mine
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Diggit

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 14:57 »
That all sounds pretty sensible, Thanks. I'll make sure I build in some perching space  ;)

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 19:15 »
I've got perches in mine and all the birds, except my Faverolle use it. She sleeps in the nest box for better or for worse. But since she's such a large bird I thought I'd just leave her to it, she'd probably do more harm than good anyway. I would always put perches in the coop and as mentioned the chickens should always be encouraged to use them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 05:19 »
if you have a look at this page:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=2809.945

you will see some photos of Hillfooters Forsham ark, it shows the removeable perch and how the nest boxes have covers to block them off and how they remove to facilitate cleaning. They are expensive but with annual care and treatment will last you a lifetime.

Diggit

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 13:06 »
Thanks Joyfull (and Hillfooter) I missed that one.

That looks very well built indeed. What is the purpose of closing off the nest boxes? shouldn't they be left open so the hens can lay day or night?

orchardlady

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 13:36 »
I have the Forsham 'Orchard' which has the same thing. The reasoning behind the flaps are to stop hens going into the nest boxes over night to sleep and so pooping in the nest boxes and the eggs the next day being laid in a poopy nest box. Of course you must remember to open and shut the the flaps or you will have hens crossing their legs the next day busting to lay. I tend not to use the flaps as nearly all my hens roost on the perches and any that occasionally do sleep off the perch tend to sleep on the floor rather than in the nest box.

Orchard Lady

Diggit

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 15:35 »
Thanks for the replies.

I've just been up to a local garden building place that had a "hen house" in stock. It was far too big for what I wanted (6ftx6ft) but it was good to see. I think I've been over-complicating things in my head. I will keep it simple from now on knowing what I know now after asking a few questions and seeing a new house close up.

The thing I found strange about that particular one is that the nesting boxes were not water-proof. There was a big gap (half an inch) where the hinges fixed and the boxes were wet through. Maybe it was just because it was thrown together as a display model? They had also used felt for the roof of the coop and the roof over the nest boxes. From what I've read this isn't a good idea as the Red Mite love it? There was no perching space either, and I couldn't see anywhere that one could be added due to the layout. At £769 it convinced me to build my own. I can't wait to get started now :D

ehs284

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 19:39 »
If you have sufficient space and cash then an idea would be to build or buy a shed then build the coop inside. The coop can then be made to dismantle easily as there is no need for weatherproofing. This makes changing the sizes or number of perches or nesting boxes simple and you can have lots of light in the shed whilst working(we have window and translucent roof) even if it's raining and still have a dark coop for night times. This has been a godsend to us during the weeks when temperatures have been below zero. It also gives a food store and battery place for fence and light.

Springlands

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 09:37 »
I agree with everyone else - hens really need a perch. Partly for hygiene reasons but also because that is their natural behaviour. And they look really cute when they are cuddled up together on their perches.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 21:50 »
mine very rarely perch, despite my attempts to "train" them. Empty wine box goes in the nesting box at night which I take out in the meorning, I poo pick al most daily, do worry about them sleeping in their poo but if they refuse to perch there is not a lot I can do. They love perching on branches in the run during the day though!!!

xx
To perch or not to perch

Started by alancane on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 22:43
by alancane
xx
Photo of perch in the run

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 13:15
by LittleRedHen
xx
Peahen laying on perch

Started by Psychopenny on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 17:22
by ANHBUC
xx
Who says Chickens are stupid... (further adventures of girls that won't perch)

Started by rufty on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 15:55
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.