Disappointing Mangetout and sugar snap

• 14 Replies

otis pony

• Experienced Member
Disappointing Mangetout and sugar snap
« on: July 09, 2010, 22:58 »
Every year I say never again, they take up too much room and never enough produced, but the children love eating them straight from the plant so I've done it again.  Some sugar snap and some mangetout, from seed. This year they are worse than ever, what am I doing wrong.  The plants are somewhat stunted, is it to do with the lack of rain this year?  I rotate crops and use horse manure, chickem manure, ash (from our november bonfire) and growmore.  I lime around cabbages
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Disappointing Mangetout and sugar snap
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 23:04 »
My mangetout have stormed away this year, they're cropping like mad. I do water them every day unless it rains but they're in a raised bed standing on concrete that only has 6" soil depth and the only feed they've had is a bit of BFB just after planting out. Maybe it's the water?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 23:21 »
I has a super harvest of sugar snaps this year as well, ate as many as I could and I have frozen the rest. 
They were sown in March and picked mid June, so I suppose they were done before the really hot spell started :unsure:

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 23:21 »
I spent ages digging trenches in my raised bed and filling with kitchen waste, manuring, fbb, mulch of my compost and have been watering every couple of days.
My mange tout and sugarsnaps grew like triffids, produced a small, quick crop over a couple of weeks then gave up the ghost!
I know exactly what you mean....was it worth it?
I've got space for some more so I'm just going to bung them in!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 00:14 »
I guess the answer must be you need to feed them less and make them live on bread and water, like I do. Clearly they like it :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 05:51 »
shokky is not far off. Peas like plenty of humus for a good soil structure not a lot of fertiliser. They are nitrogen producers themselves, they don't need it in the first place. If the soil is on the acid side, a little lime doesn't come amiss.

You can overdo the kindness with peas.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 07:24 »
My nain crop peas have been a complete waste of time but my mangetout and sugar snap have been great.  The kids have been eating them for 3 weeks now and they do not look like they are going to stop producing soon (that will be it now).  I just bunged them in and watched them grow.
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 08:20 »
Mine have all been romping away and I must admit they have been very poorly cared for.  For one, I didn't put enough stakes in so the Petits Pois row fell over (it's back upright now), the Mangetout are going great guns and threatening to do the same. 

I haven't fed them at all, and have only watered a couple of times earlier on in the season.  They are looking a bit parched but still producing.  (Watering is not easy on our site at the moment)

Where they were sown had only just been dug and cleared of couch grass, thistles etc, hadn't had a chance to do much in the way of manuring - I don't recall putting any down at all. 

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 08:27 »
The only pea variety I've managed to grow successfully in the past is mangetout; shelling peas have always been pathetic.

This year I tried sugarsnaps and they have been fantastic, even surviving the fact that I enclosed them in 5' netting for protection (at 4' they hadn't produced any flowers so I had to cut the netting away; they are now about 7' tall!)

I haven't the foggiest idea why this is (perhaps I should try being nicer to DD and then try again!)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 08:30 »
 :lol: at JayG. What variety did you grow, to get that big  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 08:37 »
Another Wilco experiment Mum; packet says "pea (snap) sugar snap". Have also noted there is no reference to the height they grow to (m'lud!)  :nowink:

mobilekat

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 08:46 »
I would keep some seeds and next year there could be a 'tallest pea' competition! :D
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 08:58 »
fair enough  :D
'Sugarsnap' variety does grow tall :ohmy: I grew 'Sugar Anne' cos it only grows about 3ft :)

CZ Silhouette

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 10:25 »
My mangetout have stormed away this year, they're cropping like mad.

Same here! had a bumper crop this year.  8)
MY BACKS ACHING!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!

madcat

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 10:30 »
Mine had a very poor start; everything seemed to home in on them.  Pea weavil, slugs, pigeons etc etc.  (To be fair I didnt have problems with mice eating the seed ..  ) But once they got going, they don't know how to stop.  They are in a space where parsley and salads grew last year so not particularly rich but they are watered most days.  Still going strong and will be hopefully till the french beans start to come in.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Mangetout and sugar snap pea question

Started by Middlesexbloke on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2016, 18:50
by Middlesexbloke
xx
sugar snap pea

Started by makedoandmend on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 24, 2018, 20:29
by mumofstig
clip
ODD sugar snap

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2022, 11:28
by cc
xx
Sugar snap protection.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2023, 19:51
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 37 queries.