Help with seeds please

• 9 Replies

wellieboots

Help with seeds please
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:48 »
Hi All. I popped in a while back full of excitement due to getting a new allotement. However we are still waiting for the legal wranglings to be completed as the land has to pass from developer to county council to parish council.  :( We are assured though that we should get keys in about 2 weeks. So I will be back then for some start up advice.

In the meantime can I ask for some advice re seeds. I have never grown from seed before but want to start with some tomatoes and courgettes. I have no greenhouse so will be reliant on windowsills. Can I put them in a compost that will see them right through until I plant out? If so what is best.I am also worried about the watering - how do you I know what is too much or not enough? Hopefully, if I can crack these I can then progress onto other seeds in due course.

As you can tell to say I am a novice is an understatement ::).

You all made me feel very welcome when I first joined and I am looking forward to being more active now although it will be with lots of questions I expect!!

compostqueen

Re: Help with seeds please
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:55 »
Growing from seed is a pleasure and it's addictive so please don't buy too many packets to start with.  Your idea of starting with toms and courgettes is a good one  :)

You can't fail with courgettes - it's a really good veg to start with - and will reward you beyond your wildest dreams.  I wouldn't grow more than four plants though unless you're crazy about them as you will be innundated with fruits  :D 

Toms are a little bit more tricky, and they do need potting up as they grow, so you will need to pot them on into fresh compost as the plants get bigger until at last they're ready to go into their final growing positions in the garden, either in soil or a pot of compost. 

Your seed packets should give you all the sowing and growing on instructions, so make a brew and sit and read them  :)  Have fun  :)

wellieboots

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 14:16 »
Thanks for your advice compostqueen.
Can I use a general compost or do I have to start them of in a special seed and cutting compost first?
This is how much of a novice I am!!

Totty

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 14:45 »
I have still never really seen any advantage in using special seed compost as apposed to good multi purpose passed through a garden sieve. Especially not for toms or courgettes.
 Get yourself some good quality multi purpose and you can use it for both sowing and potting on.

Totty

wellieboots

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 15:59 »
Thanks Totty.
That's me all set to go. Courgettes and tomatoes here I come :)

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 16:25 »
I only use seed compost (it's heavier, soil based stuff) for my onion seeds.  I use multipurpose mostly, or even growbag compost for more robust seeds (if I have no multi p)  :)  I bring my bag of compost indoors to warm it up a bit before sowing (but maybe that's just me  :))

There are zillions of tomato and courgette varieties so you should have lots of reading of seed catalogues or Gurgling to help make your choice. Or, you could have a look on our threads to find our faves  :)  It helps if you have some idea of what you want your tomatoes for, eg grilling, sarnis, bottling, sauce etc then you can narrow down the choice somewhat  :)

wellieboots

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 17:21 »
I only use seed compost (it's heavier, soil based stuff) for my onion seeds.  I use multipurpose mostly, or even growbag compost for more robust seeds (if I have no multi p)  :)  I bring my bag of compost indoors to warm it up a bit before sowing (but maybe that's just me  :))

Thanks compostqueen. I have just been reading the link about recommended composts. I was thinking of sieving and using some of my own compost but some has been bagged up since last year and the rest in on the heap waiting to be used. It seems I should use fresh - what do you recommend please? Also what are the best uses for my homemade compost?

Thanks for your help -again ;)

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 17:39 by mumofstig »

Totty

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 23:00 »
Sounds like you just need to get yourself a bag of multi purpose. Two brands I can strongly recommend are Vitax Q4 MP and Levingtons. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

Totty

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 23:35 »
For seed sowing your compo needs to be sterile as you want to give them the best possible start and don't want to be confused by weed seeds which could germinate in your home made compost  :)

Save your home made compost for other jobs, which you can also read about on this forum  :)

wellieboots

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 20:24 »
Thanks to you both for your guidance. Multi purpose it is.  :)

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
veg seeds

Started by mollymuggles on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 17:42
by rowlandwells
xx
Old seeds

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 22:20
by Anton
xx
What seeds to sow now and how/where help pls?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 16:13
by engineer

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 28 queries.