cats!

• 10 Replies

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
cats!
« on: September 30, 2010, 23:12 »
today early this morning a large tom cat came into my garden -i hadnt thought of cats being preditors! Luckily my coop has its own covered run although the hens saw the cat and they all froze to the spot the cat was wagging its tail and checked the coop and run for ways of gaining entry! I let my little dog out and he chased the cat out from the garden -i was going to extend the run with some chicken wire and posts but this wouldnt have a roof -if the cat had gained access to the hens would the cat have caused damage or death to my hens? -i really hadnt given cats a thought! -yet there are a lot of cats in the area
regards Patricia

bantam novice

Re: cats!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 09:37 »
Hi there,
unfortunately cats are predators.  I have a cat and love her to bits; however I would not like to see her get in the hen run.  I have electric mesh fence around my run and that seems to be sufficient deterrent. 
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:38 »
Most chickens (adult) will see off a cat.

Bantams and chicks may be in danger if the cat in question is an efficient hunter, but adult large fowl should be OK.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 09:44 »
My cats have always lived happily with the neighbours hens across the lane; I think they are too big to be useful prey.  She does lose a lot of birds to the fox.  Sigh.  My late old lady cat used to sleep in the coup during the day with no complaint from the birds - but then in her earlier years she would see off a fox out of sheer bloodymindedness, so perhaps there was a tactic tradeoff.  She annoyed the neighbour's dog, though, and he was useless faced with a fox.  :unsure: :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:59 »
Our 2 cats have never shown any interest in our hens but chicks in a broody pen was a different thing! Old net curtains came into their own as we covered chicken wire with them until chicks were about 5 weeks old.
 However, a few minutes ago I watched as one of the cats leisurely strolled up the drive and was chased off by our ducks mum, a light sussex, she wasn't taking any chances.   Good luck
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 11:12 »
How much of a danger a cat is to a full grown hen depends on when the cat was last fed!

looe-looe-belle

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 12:15 »
everyone mentions fully grown hens - well mine are 19 wks old now so are they classed as fully grown?

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 12:34 »
IMO no, to be full size they need to have filled out a bit and grown in confidence and attitude. :)

looe-looe-belle

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 12:39 »
well my hens seem quite big for 19 weeks so can you tell me what age is a hen when it is adult ?

rudy

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 17:33 »
Hi, My 4bluebelles were 16wks when i got them and they were huge compared to my 6 20wk old Hylines (at my allotment). Depends what breeds you have. Hylines are smaller to fit more in a cage  :( .
I have 4 ex bats and a weird little unnamed squawky thing free ranging in the back garden as well.
I also have 5 cats and 3 dogs. Neighbours all have cats.
The only trouble I had was the 2 kitten thugs from next door who kept trying thier luck, but all my girls had no problem seeing them off, a flash of the wing, squawk and a run towards them always put the cats off.
If i was you keep watchful until you are confident.
blimey, not more marrows............!

evie2

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 17:49 »
Our 4 moggies are used to the chooks being in the garden and house so don't really bother.  Last week Freya hid in the coop when the in laws dog was over and also had to give up the cat biscuits to the chooks when they came in :lol: 

The Sablepoots are about collard dove size and the cats are quite able and often do kill them, the doves that is, so cats and poots are never left alone.

It's the neighbourhood cats that cause the problem >:(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Cats

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 30, 2009, 14:15
by raeburg
xx
Cats

Started by uba on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 14:54
by Ribbit
xx
Cats....

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 14:22
by mumofstig
xx
CHICKENS AND CATS

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 16:23
by feelingbroody

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 29 queries.