Any soft fruit experts around - Raspberry and Blackcurrant Choice

• 7 Replies

beaker141

Hi

As per the title. I'm trying to decide on the varieties to purchase and I'm just getting confused with varieties.  I think Ive deliberated for that long that I'm running out of time for bare rooted plants. 

Raspberry - I want to have 4 rows of 5 canes and I'm thinking of a full season selection, does this make sense and does anyone have any recommendations of the best variety in each category - all the suppliers claim the variety they sell is the best tasting, heaviest cropper etc.

Early            Glen Lyon/Glen Moy
Mid               Glen Ample
Mid Late       Tulamen
Late             Autumn Bliss/Joan J/Octavia or Polka

Blackcurrant - I want to have 2 bushes - I'm not sure here whether to get 2 the same to get a crop all together for making jams etc or 2 different varieties.

Ben Lomond/Ben Sarek/Ben Connan/Ebony/Big Ben ?

Blackberry - Are there any bush varieties of Blackberry or do they generally have to be a bit wild and support on a structure?

Cranberry - If I plant in part of a raised bed - I could start off with ericaneous compost but how would I keep the soil acidic enough for it.

Thanks in advance

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Hi Beaker

Raspberries - I would go for 1 summer fruiting and 1 autumn and have 10 of each as the post and wire system is different on both.  Will give you plenty to pick as well - there's no such thing as too many where rasps are concerned  ;) I would vote for Autumn Bliss for the late one - they grow like stink and give you tons of fruit starting from August.

Blackcurants - I would have 2 the same for the reason you give i.e. get enough for jams ect  Ben Sarek is a good compact one that fruits well.

Blackberries - er yes they are all a bit wild and need a fair bit of post and wire, but the thornless ones are super productive and give huge lush fruits  :)

Cranberries are swamp dwelleres in their native habit, so maybe growing in a container might be best - keep the fruit off the floor as well as they do creep around a bit.  Obviously will need to be kept well watered and you can feed with any feed labelled Rhododendron, Azalea and Camelia feed - usually pink coloured packaging.  Alternatively, you can get seaweed feed with added iron.

Soft fruit is a great thing to grow - so much yield for very little effort  :)

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
Re raspberries, I agree with New Shoot especially with regards the 'Autumn Bliss'.
Very abundant!

From my experience (they were planted Nov 2009), I would avoid 'Tulameen'. Hasn't done anything for me.
I also have Glen Prosen which so far has performed ok.

Blackcurrants
I have both Ben Connan and Ben Lomond (2 of each planted Nov 2009) and both have performed very well with plenty of fruit. There is still some left in the freezer!  :)
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

beaker141

Thanks guys - I'll try and get ordering tonight.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
Ebony would be my choice, not so tart. Avoid Ben Lomond as it is prone to mildew.
Autumn rasps, Joan J better than Autumn Bliss. Joan J came top in independent taste tests for Autumn rasps.
Summer fruiting, Tulameen very good in taste tests.

beaker141

I've gone for :-

10 x Joan J
10 x Glen Lyon
2 x Blackcurrant Ebony
1 x Blackberry Chester

Total £46 FROM ashridgetrees

I'm so looking forward to "so much yield for very little effort" but realise it may take a year or two to fruit fully.

Thanks for the comments.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
I went for Ashridge Trees when I bought mine.

I went for Glen Moy, Glen Ample and Glen Manga and early, mid & late summer ones, to preceed my established Autumn Bliss.

They seemed one of the best value on the net and are really good solid stock. They've been in a few weeks now and are starting to bud.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
You will need to wait a year or two until you get the full benefits, but soft fruit is a great option  :)  I keep mine heavily mulched and apart from keeping the birds off and the odd weed to pull out or spray, plus an annual prune, I reckon my are pretty trouble free.

Walking down a row of rasps picking one for the bowl and one for you when they are £1.99 for a tiny punnet in the shops is pretty darn good  :D

xx
Blackcurrant and raspberry cuttings

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 16, 2013, 18:34
by Ema
xx
Blackcurrant & raspberry bushes

Started by Dartford_Digger on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 18:41
by sion01
xx
help with blackcurrant and raspberry bushes

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 00:00
by juliec
xx
Raspberry, blackcurrant and gooseberry advice

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 08:25
by gillie

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 29 queries.