Grapes

• 3 Replies

Jim the builder

Grapes
« on: August 31, 2012, 08:39 »
I am hoping to grow grapes on my allotment  however I am unsure what type of soil they prefer. My soil is about average, not to heavy not to light with a slight acidity to it. I intend growing the grapes in a seperate bed so i can adjust the soil to what ever suits them best. I also intend growing clematis with the vines and would appreciate peoples views and any ideas on which clematis would be best suited for the job. Thanks.

Amilo

• Experienced Member
Re: Grapes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:03 »
I don't think there is a "correct" soil for grapes but I can report that on my heavy clay I have a vine that is doing very well, also I see vineyards in Spain and Portugal that have section under water in the winter months but in the summer they produce as much fruit as the vines higher up the hill.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:22 »
How are you planning on growing the vines and the Clematis together?  I'd suggest that they are kept away from each other and not allowed to intertwine, you don't want the Clematis shading the vines or their fruit.

Soil-wise I'm going with what I've got with my vines, raising the bed and using the drier end of the plot to make sure that they're free-draining.  If you're growing for wine, then poor soil and restricted growth seems to be the way to go.  Certainly not much in the way of feeding.  My first row of three plants went a few weeks ago, they've had a comfrey mulch last week but I don't plan on feeding them much (or at all) once established.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 14:28 »
Grapes definitely are not particular on soil. I planted a number in my horrid clay quarry and I did water them now and then in their first year to ensure they survived. 3 years later their roots have finally hit something they like in a nice depth and they are jungle creatures that I'm constantly hacking down to keep under control  :D

Sweet grapes don't care for feed, they prefer to work hard sourcing nutrients out of the soil depths, same with moisture. Just water them a bit the first year then leave them alone.

clip
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2023, 20:04
by Yorkie
xx
grapes

Started by van connick on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 18:54
by van connick
xx
Grapes

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:23
by Starling
clip
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2019, 08:20
by jambop

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 37 queries.