When to pollinate a courgette?

• 11 Replies

Apostrophes

• http://www.richard-seymour.net
« on: August 21, 2008, 10:32 »
I am lucky enough to have been given a new allotment plot in Stevenage, which the council have just cleared and made available. I didn't even have to wait very long for it.

My first quetsion is about manually pollenating courgettes. I know why I might need to do it and, mostly, how, but I am unclear on one thing:

At which stage in the life of the courgette do I pollenate it with the pollen from the male flower? I have some very tiny courgettes in my garden right now with only the first suggestion of a tightly closed flower. Is that too soon?

Or must I wait until the flower opens up?

Thank you; and hello allotment growers all.

Richard
The idiots are winning.

heloise

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:20 »
Hello,
I have 2 plants in the greenhouse and have always found that the female flowers will open up very wide by themselves so it's easy to transfer pollen via a small paintbrush. Unfortunately they never seem to open up for more than a day, so I have to check on them regularly.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:21 »
I've never needed to pollinate any of mine (I did with my pumpkins) and have always had loads. If you are going to pollinate I would have thought you need to wait till the flowers open by themselves.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Apostrophes

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:19 »
Thank you both. Thinking about it, it makes obvious sense to wait till the flowers open up: afterall, bees don't pollinate green buds.

Richard

gobs

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 14:06 »
As Katie says though, only have this job, if growing indoors, which there is no need for.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 14:29 »
I have courgettes in teh polytunnel at the moment, and they do their own thing.  I've never had to pollinate a courgette yet!

Apostrophes

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 14:51 »
Thank you. I only really asked as my courgettes are pretty poor excuses right now but I think that's more to do with how I kept them.

Richard

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 17:36 »
They're pretty heavy feeders I understand. Mine are in a little raised bed that I made this year and filled with last years compost and they are growing like the clappers (could also have something to do with the vast quantity of duck muck they get too). Feeding them might help? :lol:

Apostrophes

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 19:02 »
Kate,

I am picking up a duck theme from you. :)

Richard

e15

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 19:08 »
I wait for the flowers to open and then I pinch off the male flowers, which have no immature fruit and brush it against the female flower. It seems to work well for mine...

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 19:14 »
Quote from: "Apostrophes"
Kate,

I am picking up a duck theme from you. :)

Richard

I know, it's an obsession. I've been assured that there is treatment available but they will have to catch me first!!!!

Don't get me on to how great ducks are for the garden and soul! :roll:

(OK just a bit - They eat the slugs and snails, fertilize the ground, mow the lawn, well a bit 8)  I carefully overlook the minor disadvantages

Lemon

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 12:14 »
Hi Apostrophes,

We live in Stevenage too - but no allotment - just a back garden with 2 raised veg beds.

Last year, to help the early flowers/courgettes along, I'd pick off the male flower (the one with the long pointy thing :oops: in it covered in pollen) then poke the inside of the female flower (this has the immature courgette behind it) making sure the middle gets some pollen.

If they are not pollinated successfully, the fruits do not mature and grow, but wrinkle and die.  As the plant grows better, you won't have to do this - it will sort itself out, but I find it useful when the female flower opens after the male flower has withered.  (In extreme cases, I peel back and discard the petals of male flower and leave the pollen stick to do the poking!  :tongue2: )

Happy Veg Growing! :mrgreen:
Mama Hen to Bokky (Lt Sussex X) & Korma (R.I.R X) & wife to Chookie Papa

xx
do I need to pollinate my chillis?

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 14:33
by jamima
xx
how do I hand pollinate sweetcorn?!

Started by maireadsheahan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 23:30
by peterjf
xx
Sweet gherkins.. do i need to pollinate ?

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 10:21
by Dan78
xx
How to hand pollinate sweetcorn?

Started by lauren on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 15:24
by lauren

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 29 queries.