Eye Injury to Mom Chicken

• 2 Replies

mlbjackson

« on: April 09, 2008, 17:19 »
Hi, I'm new here.  Just found this forum.  We have 2 hens, 1 rooster, and a chick about 3 days old.

The Momma Chicken had been sitting on 3 eggs for a while when we introduced another hen who is probably about 5 months younger.  Momma Chicken, was of course, not so friendly to the new hen.

Now that a chick has hatched, Momma Chicken is quite aggressive towards the other hen & the two have been fighting.  Momma Chicken now has an eye injury.  Her eye is swollen almost shut.

How should I treat her injury?

Any ideas on how to calm the feud between the girls?  "Boo Boo" (no, I didn't name her) is smaller & usually runs away when Momma Chicken comes after her.

Thank you !
BasketLady

hotterotter

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 14:45 »
brooding hens should be kept separate or so i've read. In a totally free range scenario they try and brood somwhere hidden.

I've no experience of broody hens but have introduced new birds to an existing flock before so with a pinch of salt here's what what I'd do:

Separate the birds, chick and mum together and cock and new hen together. keep the mum and chick in as clean a surroundings as you can so mums wounds don't get infected (disinfect their accomodation new litter clean water etc.) Let the the new girl and your cock get aquainted and re-introduce them all together when the chicks about a month to five weeks old. As for the injury just let it heal if you take it to the vet, even given the cost it'll be a masive mix for the lil' un.

But bear in mind this just a mix of a little experience, some knowledge and what I beleive to be common sense, if others with more of the above say otherwise then forget all this.

mlbjackson

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 14:57 »
Thank you for your response hotterotter.  I'll give that a try.  Seems the rooster is now picking on Momma Chicken too.  Think he's defending Boo Boo, but all the same - seems they need some distance.

Thanks again!

xx
Injury

Started by gregnjo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 21:56
by compostqueen
exclamation
Hen claw injury

Started by Katiecat on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2017, 12:01
by danfinn1
xx
disease or injury

Started by ryan on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 02, 2010, 19:15
by orchardlady
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 35 queries.