coup cleaning

• 6 Replies

mikeschooks

coup cleaning
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:28 »
Hi everyone, not collecting my new ark and hens untill next Tuesday, but sure to have lots of questions. How often will I need to clean out their quarters, will have three hens. Also I know some of the food contains grit, but is it still a good idea to provide a separate grit feeder. Thanks  Mike

8doubles

Re: coup cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:58 »
It depends on the weather if the coop floor is wet in winter or if its hot in summer you will smell (and the flies will tell you )when a clean out is due. My 3 get a complete clean out every week in summer but they can go 2 weeks in winter if the coop stays dry.
 I check under the perches for red mite every 2 days in summer and if any are found its  a compleat clean immediately.

ps i just throw a handful of grit where they can find it when allowed out for a free range.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:02 by 8doubles »

Sparr0wman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:12 »
I'm new to this ( 1 week with chooks) i'm Picking up the poo every morning, and geez can these girls poo ???
Giving them a full clean of a weekend , and then a DEEP clean each month. i hope this will keep all the nasties at bay.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:12 »
i'm taking
full clean to mean: remove all straw and bedding and wipe down then put in new straw and bedding.
and deep clean to mean wash and scrub the coop down with jeyes fluid (make sure it's dry before the hens go to bed - that's why we do it less often in the winter....) then rinse and replace the bedding etc.

we also pick up the poo in the run every evening when they've retired ( it helps to have a light in the run). (we use a fire shovel and a stick - so we don't have to handle it!!  :D )
we have newspaper under the perches and every day we remove the old stuff and put new stuff down.
we have straw in the nest boxes that gets replaced every week.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:24 »
One of the dustpans with the long vertical handle  plus a fire shovel with extended handle for poo-putting is what i use  for cleaning the run or lawn.
Saves the creaky back a bit. :)

mikeschooks

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 12:41 »
Thanks everyone for your help. Good to see I am not the only beginner :)

Wyandottie

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 18:38 »
Had my chickens since early March and I have got into the habit of cleaning every day.  By that I mean picking up poo from nesting boxes (where one girl insists on sleeping), and from under the perches.  I add more wood shavings to the floor if necessary, and most days have to replace the straw in the nest box.  My girls seem to prefer to re-arrange their own nestboxes and it ends up scattered over the floor of the coop.  I use a stiff wire brush to give the perches a clean.  I use my gardening gloves to pick up the poo which together with straw and shavings go onto the compost heap - rotting down nicely!

xx
Deep cleaning the coup at this time of year - help

Started by debih on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 07:46
by bood77
xx
what to put in my new coup for a bed!

Started by snowy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 12:29
by snowy
xx
Water in the coup?

Started by djt on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 16:06
by djt
xx
New chickens in coup for 24 hours????

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 21:18
by wilson5

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 28 queries.