Tips on Cherry Trees

• 2 Replies

Glen

• Experienced Member
Tips on Cherry Trees
« on: April 06, 2008, 18:18 »
Were crazy mad bonkers about Cherries and would love a tree at the lottie, but i have a few questions.

Do they drain the soil much or will i be able to plant crops around the trunks.
Whats the hardiest species to go for that will give me a good crop.
What pest should i be ready to go to war with?

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

gobs

Tips on Cherry Trees
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 19:08 »
They will drain the soil, but you can get smaller trees on a semi-dwarfing stock that still will give you a good crop, especially after a few years, still can't plant vegies under, won't do well, can find the odd thing to go nearby though, but it's a good idea to plant it near the shed, utility area.

Self fertile and fruits well without pruning, only tidying is necessary, not many problems either, only prune spring end to avoid silver leaf disease and net as birds are your biggest pests here. :lol:

Cherokee and Stella are really good croppers and nice, sweet fruit on both.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

Tips on Cherry Trees
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:14 »
I too recommend a dwarf variety simply so you can pick without a ladder and you can easily net it against birds who REALLY love cherries and would beat you to it. Trust me on that!
No, don't plant around the tree but do mulch with some old manure every year, water well and add a straw mulch. Weeds will suck the soil dry on them. They're hungry trees and you get only as well as you feed unless you're on fab soil.
I did have a borer problem with my cherry tree, but only on the sweet cherries. Took ages to slit the trunks and add mineral oil to kill the borers as I didn't want to use a systemic killer on food trees, so watch for their 'sap drops' holes.

xx
Cherry Trees

Started by Potterer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2019, 11:15
by Kleftiwallah
xx
cherry trees

Started by iggyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 20:45
by iggyboy
xx
Cherry trees

Started by boosmummy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 22:30
by joyfull
xx
Cherry Trees

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 18:43
by Trillium

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 31 queries.