is there anything...

• 18 Replies

Nige2Plots

Re: is there anything...
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 18:51 »
What about Microgreens, veg you can eat at their seedling stage ;) Don't forget Sprouting seeds as well!

Hi Nige2Plots,

Can you explain a bit more how to grow Microgreens (without having to fork out for any expensive equipment) ?
It's not expensive :ohmy: :D
Microgreens are in essence vegetables eaten at their seedling stage. Sow the seeds in a tray with a small amount of compost in the bottom and place somewhere with a constant temperature ; ie, an airing cuboard and keep moist but not wet.
Radish, Chard. Peas and Basil to name a few can be grown like this. Harvest when the first leaves have formed and eat raw.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 20:07 »
I want to try some onions from seed instead of set. It seems a lot of people start them off in Jan/Feb time. Is that necessary or is it better to wait a little longer with those too?

Check the packet - some are earlier than others.

I planed to start mine on 01-Jan last year but didn't get around to it until 14-Feb. I had great Onions (first time from seed, they were much better than anything I have ever grown from sets) but I did panic towards the end as mine were showing no signs of dying down when everyone else's were ...

If memory serves me Onions are (unusually for veg) controlled by day length, so sowing late doesn't use the remainder of the Summer to ripen, once they get to the right day length they shut up show ... although not sure mine did that on time last year!!

So I think sowing-time is better not to leave-late, unlike other veg.

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 10:42 »
What about Microgreens, veg you can eat at their seedling stage ;) Don't forget Sprouting seeds as well!

Hi Nige2Plots,

Can you explain a bit more how to grow Microgreens (without having to fork out for any expensive equipment) ?
It's not expensive :ohmy: :D
Microgreens are in essence vegetables eaten at their seedling stage. Sow the seeds in a tray with a small amount of compost in the bottom and place somewhere with a constant temperature ; ie, an airing cuboard and keep moist but not wet.
Radish, Chard. Peas and Basil to name a few can be grown like this. Harvest when the first leaves have formed and eat raw.

Am having a go at this! sowed some mustard/cress seeds last night in a plastic fruit punnet and cut another one to fit on top like a lid. Thanks  :)

HevO22

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 10:32 »
thanks everyone  :)

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 31 queries.