Pepper Propagation

• 7 Replies

mashauk

Pepper Propagation
« on: February 02, 2008, 12:27 »
I've had some seeds in the propagator for 3 weeks, but no sign of life, is it right to assume that nothings going to happen now and try again later in the year, or is it worth leaving them in a bit longer?  The packet said "up to 3 weeks" for germination. I'm thinking about starting some tomato, basil and lettuce seeds off in there this weekend.

Ta

Sally A

Pepper Propagation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 12:33 »
I think Gobs puts her chilli/pepper seeds in water for 24 hours before planting. Good seeds sink, bad seeds float.

Might we worth a try.

mashauk

Pepper Propagation
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:37 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
I think Gobs puts her chilli/pepper seeds in water for 24 hours before planting. Good seeds sink, bad seeds float.

Might we worth a try.

That's interesting, will give it a try, I've never succeeded with peppers or chillis so I'll try anything (within reason :lol: )

Sally A

Pepper Propagation
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 12:40 »
I did read it on here, have a look under her chili post in the wiggywotsit.

gobs

Pepper Propagation
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 13:27 »
Yes, I think quite a few people now posted how they do it, but hang on there, they can take longer. Make sure they get enough heat and light. And moisture.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mumof4

Re: Pepper Propagation
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 13:56 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
I've had some seeds in the propagator for 3 weeks, but no sign of life, is it right to assume that nothings going to happen now and try again later in the year, or is it worth leaving them in a bit longer?  The packet said "up to 3 weeks" for germination. I'm thinking about starting some tomato, basil and lettuce seeds off in there this weekend.

Ta

You'll find peepers do take a long time to germinate and is impotatnat to make sure they are warm enough. I would hang on before giving up as they may show signs of life in the next few days.

Fat Hen

Re: Pepper Propagation
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 22:05 »
Quote from: "mashauk"

Ta
g

What kind of pepper seeds, sweet peppers or chillis.  Some chillis namely Chinense can take up to a month and need/prefer temps of around 28 deg C.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Pepper Propagation
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 22:47 »
I did mine (peppers) in the airing cupboard,  sown on 30th Jan and they've germinated today.

xx
rosemary propagation

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:10
by SG6
xx
saffron propagation help

Started by Kevin67 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 18, 2014, 14:22
by Kevin67
xx
Sorrel Propagation

Started by mamalovesmambo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 10:22
by mamalovesmambo
xx
Root stock propagation.

Started by WeavingGryphon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 31, 2020, 08:29
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 32 queries.