Parsnips in bog rolls.

• 8 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Parsnips in bog rolls.
« on: March 26, 2013, 19:46 »
I sowed some parsnip seed in bog roll tubes over a month ago (cold GH), but there isn't even a glimmer yet. Do you think they need redoing, or just leave 'em to see what happens?

Tea Break

Re: Parsnips in bog rolls.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 21:42 »
Leave them for a bit longer mines just poked there heads up, well one really but its just been to cold for them in the poly tunnel. You can always sow some more a little later on. :ohmy:
Mike

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:58 »
I start mine off in an ice cream container lined with wet kitchen roll above my boiler to see which seeds are viable taking into account that the seeds are normally only any use for one year.  (Why do they put 5,000 seeds in a packet when the seeds are only viable for a year, even those who enjoy parsnips can't eat that many in a year!)  When the seeds are just showing a white tip, to show that they are starting to grow, then that is when I put them into toilet rolls.  Take care to check daily to viability as they grow very quickly when they start and also you will need to plant out before the root gets to the bottom of the toilet roll - they put down roots very quickly as well and they shouldn't be disturbed otherwise they will "fork".  When planting out I ensure that the rim of the toilet roll is at, or below, the surrounding soil so that the toilet roll will rot allowing the parsnip to grow without being checked which again could make it "fork".

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:51 »
I start mine off in an ice cream container lined with wet kitchen roll above my boiler to see which seeds are viable taking into account that the seeds are normally only any use for one year.  (Why do they put 5,000 seeds in a packet when the seeds are only viable for a year, even those who enjoy parsnips can't eat that many in a year!)  When the seeds are just showing a white tip, to show that they are starting to grow, then that is when I put them into toilet rolls.  Take care to check daily to viability as they grow very quickly when they start and also you will need to plant out before the root gets to the bottom of the toilet roll - they put down roots very quickly as well and they shouldn't be disturbed otherwise they will "fork".  When planting out I ensure that the rim of the toilet roll is at, or below, the surrounding soil so that the toilet roll will rot allowing the parsnip to grow without being checked which again could make it "fork".
Thinking of giving this a go as I did this with sweetcorn seeds last year and it was a success. Will only use it for some seed as a trial.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 17:38 »
I use this for sweetcorn as well, it works well.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 19:31 »
(Why do they put 5,000 seeds in a packet when the seeds are only viable for a year, even those who enjoy parsnips can't eat that many in a year!) 

I know!!
Madness! :nowink:

And it's very true - the seed does NOT germinate well the following year!!

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:39 »
So, its ok to move the seedling from an Ice Cream tub to a toilet, but best not to disturb it ever again?

I always read that you should never move a carrot or a parsnip full stop, so this sounds like something i'll try as i've never had much sucess with parsnips in the past.
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 13:03 »
If you are growing them on in a toilet roll inner, they have to be planted into the ground before the tap root hits the bottom, or you end up with forked roots. By the time the plant has 2 proper leaves (as well as it's 2 seed leaves) then the root will be at the bottom, I find - the roots grow that quickly!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 13:13 »
I never both to chit parsnips.  I know its cold out there at the moment, but my first lot of parsnips were sowed insitu end of March last year, and the remainder in April.

I got loads of lovely parsnips!  In fact for the first time I've only just used the last of them, apart from what I've frozen for soups.

I sow 3 per station, but fairly close, then thin when needed.

xx
parsnips in loo rolls

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 16, 2013, 20:01
by pdblake
xx
Parsnips in loo rolls

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 08:54
by Kristen
xx
parsnips in toilet rolls

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 08:08
by lucywil
xx
parsnips in toilet rolls

Started by ecky on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 19:47
by ulsterfairy

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 38 queries.