parsnips in toilet rolls

• 8 Replies

ecky

• Experienced Member
parsnips in toilet rolls
« on: April 07, 2012, 23:45 »
First time for parsnips. I sowed on 27 Feb in toilet roll holders in the greenhouse. They started to show on 20 March. Since 23 March friends kept things watered while I was away till yesterday. The leaf now showing varies 4-6mm. Because of watering I wondered how the rolls are holding up and picked some up. Altho damp tand soft they are ok to handle. My concern is that there is 1-2cm of (tap?) root below the roll. What to do?
 Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: parsnips in toilet rolls
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 23:52 »
Plant them, but they will probably fork now the tap root is presumably bent or will get damaged on planting  :(

Once they germinate they need planting out within a day or 2, as by the time the 2nd leaves are beginning to grow the tap root is already at the bottom of the pot. That is the problem with not sowing direct.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 00:03 »
Plant them, but they will probably fork now the tap root is presumably bent or will get damaged on planting  :(

Once they germinate they need planting out within a day or 2, as by the time the 2nd leaves are beginning to grow the tap root is already at the bottom of the pot. That is the problem with not sowing direct.

A useful and clear bit of information mumofstig. Thank you.

I am determined to get some parsnips this year one way or another.

I've had just one beautiful row since first trying to grow them........and then my sister paid her once in a life-time visit to see the plot and "helped" weed.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Carrot Man

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 08:50 »
Plant them out before the root reached the bottom of the toilet roll or you risk damaging the root when planting out

Keep moist but not drenched

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:27 »
Plant them out before the root reached the bottom of the toilet roll or you risk damaging the root when planting out

Keep moist but not drenched

I use long paper pots for some and belt off to the plot as soon as there's a sign of anything coming up.

How I love parsnip crisps.  ;)

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 21:35 »
Thanks for your views to all.  Looks like I will sow direct. O get longer rolls!

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 22:04 »
I have done OK with parsnips in loo rolls.  I did sow direct in our first year on the plot, but found it very difficult to avoid weeding the parsnips along with the weeds and I am sure I "weeded" a few.  I then filled in the gaps with more seed I set off in loo rolls and found they worked a treat.  I am just sticking with loo rolls this year.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 19:30 »
I've got some in bog rolls at the mo. I reckon it looks like planting them out as soon as anything starts showing above ground after this thread. At least they should get a better start in the nice compost instead of just garden soil.

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 19:47 »
I failed last year with loo rolls but only because I couldnt get to the plot to plant them out as soon as they germinated!!

This year I plan to experiment a bit, I will use a metal rod to make a large hole to fill with compost (we have very stony ground), for direct sowing possibly with another seed thats quick to germinate, because I will also end up weeding the parsnips by accident!! I will do this towards end of april.

Ive also been saving kitchen roll holders, so I have a bit of time to get them in the ground before the root hits the bottom.  We've so many weeds seeds and the largest population of slugs ever Ideally I would prefer to have the parsnips a bit bigger before planting them out, these I will do this week.

I will see what happens  :D

xx
parsnips in toilet rolls

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 08:08
by lucywil
xx
using toilet rolls as pots

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 21:44
by cooperman
xx
Leeks & Toilet Rolls

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 18:40
by fluffstermum
xx
Empty toilet rolls

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 18:55
by mr Isaccs

Page created in 0.736 seconds with 38 queries.