the humble cabbage

• 24 Replies

rowlandwells

the humble cabbage
« on: February 15, 2020, 18:38 »
there are many varieties of cabbage to grow I don't know how I come to arrive with ten packets of  cabbage seed  some half packets some not opened so  I'm going to give all the varieties a try some are old seed so they mite not geminate?

I even bought another couple of packet of cabbage seed this season should have checked the seed box bought stonehead  ballhead and Dutchman pointed

anyway just to wanted to ask what cabbage are you growing this season?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: the humble cabbage
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 18:58 »
Red Rodeo and January King for me. Might do Golden Acre Primo as well if I have space on the plot.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 19:13 »
For a good few years I've grown Hispi, Minicole, Tundra, for summer, autumn & winter respectively - but seed for Hispi and Minicole are getting harder to find each year.

So this year I will also be trialling Golden Acre (summer) and Brigadier (autumn) to see how they compare :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 19:18 »
but seed for Hispi and Minicole are getting harder to find each year.

I hadn't realised that - though had noticed that they were relatively expensive.

Do you know why they might be becoming harder to find?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 19:30 »
I grew Minicole and Cabbice this year for summer (mainly salad/coleslaw use) and found little difference with the latter growing slightly larger. Just checked the current price at DTB's and as Yorkie says they're on the expensive side....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 20:00 »

I hadn't realised that - though had noticed that they were relatively expensive.

Do you know why they might be becoming harder to find?

I think they may be raising prices as seed becomes scarce, does that make sense, because I don't remember them being that expensive in the past. 
They are marked as a discontinued variety on a few seed sites, maybe just because they've been replaced by newer hybrids :(

The same thing discussed here  https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=129776.msg1511802#msg1511802
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 20:04 by mumofstig »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 20:27 »
I grow quite a few cabbages as I like them for salads over the summer. 

The earliest one I grow is Heart, which is a pointed type.  I'll put some seeds in for this soon in the unheated greenhouse.  I also grow Kalibos, which is a red pointed cabbage and is ready a little later.  Both make great slaw or cabbage salads.

For late summer/early autumn I have Red Rookie and Sarmarsh.  The last one is new to me and is a flat topped Japanese style cabbage.

For the winter I grow January King and a savoy.  I currently have Troviata, but am considering replacing it.  I've grown it for 2 years and it has not been great.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 20:32 »

Greyhound is a very old variety, very reliable and the seed is cheap if that is the order of the day.

I sow it in succession, about a dozen plants at a time, if I have too many to use at a time, I give them away.
STOP, and smell the roses!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 22:51 »
Giving cabbages a miss this year, had a good crop last year but they took a lot of room up on the plot and the family didnt really go for them.

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 09:27 »
I'm surprised some of the varieties  mentioned I haven't even heard of but I'm going to look them up as a possible to try  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 09:40 »
I'm surprised some of the varieties  mentioned I haven't even heard of but I'm going to look them up as a possible to try  ;)

If you want a good red cabbage for autumn for pickling or eating fresh, I would put in a shout for Red Rookie.  It was new to me last year and I was really pleased with it  :)

Not that i want to get you in trouble for buying more seeds of course  :lol:

Mintyboy

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 11:02 »
I do an early crop of Greyhound followed by Primo through the summer, a later crop of Greyhound for the autumn, and then January King for the winter.
These varieties have worked well for me over the years so I will be sticking to them, I have tried a few other varieties but these three always come out on top.

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 14:19 »
I looked that variety up new shoot and it looks like its worth growing but don't tell her indoors  :D :D

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 22:33 »
My selection is governed by the fact that I've got club root on part of my plot. I'm growing Kilaton (large solid heads - a bit like some of the people I know) and Lodero red cabbage. I'm also growing Filderkraut - a large pointed cabbage which is tasty on its own but is really good for sauerkraut if you like fermenting. On unaffected areas I'm growing Primo and January King - good old regulars. By the way - if you've got club root cauliflower Clapton and Calabrese Monclano have good resistance.

kernow24

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 20:42 »
I grew Minicole and Cabbice this year for summer (mainly salad/coleslaw use) and found little difference with the latter growing slightly larger. Just checked the current price at DTB's and as Yorkie says they're on the expensive side....

if you use cabbage for coleslaw and salads you should look in to kohlrabi, shredded up it makes a fine coleslaw or addition to a salad,  it used much less space than a cabbage, the leaves are good in stir fry, use it like pak choi, the leaves also go well in a salad.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 20:48 by kernow24 »

xx
Rhubarb forest - humble beginnings to this!

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 08:59
by barney rubble
xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
xx
white cabbage and red cabbage?

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 20:04
by muntjac
xx
red cabbage

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2007, 09:43
by Scribbler

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 54 queries.