Oops no vinegar!!

• 7 Replies

stentman

• Experienced Member
Oops no vinegar!!
« on: August 26, 2012, 15:55 »
Yesterday I made some Tomato chutney, 4 jars of it, and I  thought all was well. Quick check and yes Tomatoes, onions, sugar, sultanas, paprika etc. Much later I realised, long after I had bottled it, that I had forgotten to add the vinegar to the mix. A quick taste test and it seems fine. Am I right in guessing that missing the vinegar will only reduce it's storage time. Help!!
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

Trillium

Re: Oops no vinegar!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 15:57 »
Yes, vinegar gives anything it's storage keeping time. You can still empty the jars into the pot, add the vinegar, heat everything up and rebottle.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 16:00 »
Either that (i.e. putting it back in the pot and adding the vinegar) or, as it's not a huge quantity, you could decant it into small containers such as plastic cups and freeze it.  You don't have to fill the cups to the top - just half portions, or as much as you think you'd use in any one sitting.  :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 16:02 »
... I use those mini houmous containers for stuff that won't keep so long, such as fresh apple sauce.  Just fill them up, pop them in the freezer and then they defrost very quickly whenever you need them  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 16:09 »
I would agree with Cheshire.

If you like the taste then freeze it in small pots.

Personally I like the tang from the vinegar so would be tempted to add vinegar and simmer back to a chutney.

I have done things like that before, forgetting to put ingredients in, and these days tend to use a pencil and tick off the ingredients as I put them in the pan, then rub them out afterwards. ;)

Spana

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 16:24 »
What you have made is a pasta sauce with a bit too much sugar and sultanas :)

Try using it as that on a bit of pasta. Add a salad with a sharp dressing and it might be ok.

I make a similar sauce for pasta, jar it up while its still hot into hot jars and then stand the jars in a big pan with a folded tea cloth on the bottom, water up to the necks of the jars and gently simmer for about 20minutes if the jars are smallish. You would need longer if the jars were big and dont screw the lids right down until they come out of the water bath.

You could try that if the taste is OK for a sauce.

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 19:11 »
Yes, vinegar gives anything it's storage keeping time. You can still empty the jars into the pot, add the vinegar, heat everything up and rebottle.

Left one jar and will use it first, it won't last long. The others I have reheated added the vinegar and rebottled this morning. They seem fine and dandy. I never thought of freezing it or reheating. Just thought that I might have to give it to friends and relatives or consume it all quite quickly. Thanks for the help one and all

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 15:44 »
just made me think of te other week when i made a quiche and for got to put the eggs in it , got distracted by hubby at the last moment luckily i noticed befor it was in too long .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

xx
Damson 'jam' oops

Started by Chiswickian on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 17:19
by strangerachael
xx
Does vinegar go off?

Started by Mosslane on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 18:07
by pairofacres
xx
Vinegar.

Started by silver8 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post October 29, 2006, 22:33
by tetley
xx
The Right Vinegar

Started by digital_biscuit on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 11:28
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 29 queries.