CuisinPro 600W dehydrator

• 9 Replies

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
CuisinPro 600W dehydrator
« on: August 28, 2012, 20:59 »
Hi all

Well the conversations on dehydrating food have piqued my interest. I have bought the Mary Bell book which hasn't put me off so I now need to buy. Fleabay have the above CuisinPro model. I would love to buy an Excalibur, but I don't have the experience yet to justify that cost to the boss. I am worried that if I buy one of the cheaper products it may not give me a fair experience of the real benefits plus I think I have lots to dehydrate and the space limitations might be a problem. Price-wise the CuisinPro sits middle-ish and appears to have some of the features of the more expensive devices.

So anyone got a CuisinPro? What do your reckon? What other might you advise?

I would be quite happy to buy a cheap one and replace it next year if it proves its worth.

Thank you for your consideration.

BP

Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Mrs Bee

Re: CuisinPro 600W dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 21:14 »
I have an excaliber the biggest one and have been very happy with it 'cos I can start something off and leave it on the timer and go to bed leaving it on over night.

With hindsight however, I should have gone for the  smaller cheaper one as I really don't do that much  with it. My OH told me to get the big one 'cos it woulf be silly to pay out for the smaller one and regret getting a bigger one.

If you have lots to dehydrate you might be better to get the bigger one. HAven't heard anything about the CuisinPro tho'.

I have to say that I still prefer to freeze, jam or chutney my extras.

You could try googling it for reviews or getting it up on AMazon and see if anyone has left a review. i find that really helpful.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 21:54 »
I bought a Wolf dehydrator from Amazon, cost me £35 and works like a charm. It has plenty of capacity because the trays are pretty big and you've got five of them. I like that they're transparent too, so I can have a quick visual check on how things are going without having to open it up. It has temp control but not a timer. But if you particularly wanted a timer, there's nothing to stop you spending a couple of quid on one of those timer gadgets you plug into the socket.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 22:08 »
mines a nesco and i just leave it on all night on the lowest temp works ok so far. I think the cheap ones are probably ok. Last year I just hung apple rings over the stove which went out at night and they were ok I don't think you have to be too technical with fruit and veg. would be more careful with meat but i'm a veggie.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 01:56 »
I have both a Nesco and an Excalibur and both have their advantages. The 9 tray HD Excalibur can do a lot fairly quickly, but isn't so great with tomatoes for some reason. But, you can remove all the trays, put it at the lowest setting (95F) and proof bread or make yogurt. Can't do the proofing or yogurt in the Nesco as the round trays must sit on one another.

The Nesco is good for smaller batches and is better with tomatoes but the darned stuff gets caught in the slat trays, whereas the Excalibur has nice grid sheets that little can get tangled into. Got my Nesco almost new at a yard sale for $8, while the Excalibur was new and cost close to $300.

I'm glad I have both as each has its advantages and I plan to do a great deal of dehydrating. I too had nowhere to store mine so we bought a small former stereo cabinet from a used furniture place and it's a perfect size. The Excalibur sits right on top, there are 2 doors with 2 shelves inside, and the unit is on wheels if it needs to be moved. It was a steal at $10.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 16:49 »
Thanks for the comments all. Can I buy a Nesco in the UK anywhere?

BP

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 03:34 »
got mine off ebay but needs a transformer lots of other similar ones in the uk though.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:57 »
I think I will give the Wolf a go. Its cheap enough that I wont feel I have let the family down if it doesn't last too long. I just want to get started.

BP

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 14:03 »
That's why I started with the yard sale find for $8. Gave me a taste of how it all worked, timing, etc. When I felt I could keep it up, then I went to the Excalibur.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 17:56 »
Wolf ordered. I can't wait.

BP

xx
Dehydrator

Started by big green bloke on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 18:44
by Madame Cholet
xx
dehydrator

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 20:10
by birmancats
xx
success with dehydrator thanks for help

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 21:43
by Madame Cholet
xx
Callow dehydrator. Help!

Started by Mositt on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post April 04, 2015, 11:38
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 37 queries.