Corn on the cob?

• 17 Replies

damo

Corn on the cob?
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:18 »
1st attempt on these this year. The packet states plant out from seed in May, do these need netting to cover them, and advice on best results ?

bigben

Re: Corn on the cob?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:30 »
I grew then for the first time last year and started them in paper pots on the windowsill to make sure they germinated ok. Got 100% to come up. I then used a bulb planter to dig holes to drop them in. I planted them out in April and the whole lot got destroyed by the wind and harsh weather!

Luckily I already had backups planted (I recommend doing this). I planted these a couple of weeks later and got a couple of cobs of every on. Remember to plant in blocks so they pollinate each other. I did not cover but did have 2 or 3 cob ends that looked like something (rats?) had tried to eat them. I am growing the same again this year and will plant out a bit later and plant a lot more -the kids loved them!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:37 »
Try this:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=34827.0

Then pot them up.

I wouldn't plant out before June, personally.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shutterbug

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 13:47 »
I grew mini sweetcorn last year for the first time. Great crop but the area stunk of an ammonia-like smell for ages once the plants got past a foot high. I planted them far too close to the patio for comfort! I can't even blame the cat as she wouldn't go near them either.

Going to try the proper sweetcorn this time around. And plant them down the bottom end of the garden.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 13:49 »
I don't bother chitting as I have always had excellent germination using fresh seed.

I sow indoors in paper pots about 3-4 weeks before I aim to plant them out which shouldn't be too early as sweetcorn is a big "sulker" if it's too cold and dull for them.

As to when it depends to some extent where you live but I agree with DD that early June is probably soon enough. (If you put your location in your profile we would know approximately where you live Damo!)

Hungry plants, no need to cover but if your site is windy they might need some support (I put a cane at each corner of the block and tie string round and diagonally through them).

For me absolutey the best veg to grow when compared to the shop-bought version!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 13:56 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shutterbug

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 13:54 »
And stagger the planting. I mean, don't put them in neat rows. They wind pollinate as far as I know so they need to sway about a bit.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 13:55 »
The second poster correctly said to plant them in blocks.

diggerjoe

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 14:03 »
I always plant the potted up sweetcorn through weed membrane as well as it keeps the weeds down and I always get a good crop - still plenty on our freezer.

Torreya

• http://ashfurlongwalledkitchengarden.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 14:23 »
Thank you all! I have just been given 2 packs of sweetcorn and was going to ask the same thing, now I know what to do with them!
Anyone any ideas what the Ammonia smell is from?? More to the point, is there any way of camouflaging it, other than Tagetes-which to me smell even worse!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 14:28 »
Strange smells from sweetcorn?

That's a new one on me (but have only grown the full-sized stuff and ammonia beginner!! :lol:)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 15:13 »
Ooourgh....Jay! that's a corny one

MoreWhisky

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 15:33 »
I chitted my sweetcorn then put them in root trainers, when i put them n the ground covered with empty pop bottles for few days and feed them with comfry tea every tuesday and away they went. Had amazing success.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

damo

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 16:04 »
thanks all

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 16:54 »
You will never buy another sweetcorn cob once you have grown them yourself. I promise you - you will grow more of them next year as they cannot compare in taste and texture. Feed and mulch them well and get the pan going...! :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

andy135

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 17:09 »
Strange smells from sweetcorn?

That's a new one on me (but have only grown the full-sized stuff and ammonia beginner!! :lol:)

Thanks for that. I now have coffee all over my keyboard...............!  :lol:

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
Corn

Started by helen houghton on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2018, 11:44
by lettice
xx
corn on the cob

Started by robert1964 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 21:27
by ziggywigs
xx
corn

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 08:26
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 32 queries.