I'm doing a Skydive Saturday for Chariety

• 24 Replies

MrsPea

I'm doing a Skydive Saturday for Chariety
« on: September 04, 2023, 18:11 »
 Has anyone else done this ??
 I'm doing it for a chariety very close to my heart ' Homeless Turning Tides ' bassed in Worthing
 Not that i've ever been in that situation. I've raised over £1200.00 so far  :D
I Love my green house

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm doing a Skydive Saturday for Chariety
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 18:43 »
Congratulations and good luck - looks as though the weather should be kind for you!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 19:19 »
Well done you MrsPea.  You are brave and it sounds like a very good cause   :D

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 19:38 »
I did a parachute jump many years ago and it was absolutely amazing.  I don't know if you're doing one of the ones where you're strapped to someone else, or exiting the plane solo, but whichever I'm sure you will love it!
Our training was quite intense and I couldn't believe how heavy the parachute was as we were using the older conical canopies, but the descent is something else.  I don't think anything really prepares you for the speed at which you drop when you exit the plane, but once your canopy is open and you have time to look around the experience is something you'll never forget.  Enjoy your day!  If we had lived nearer an airfield I could have quite happily taken it up as a hobby.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 20:43 »
How fabulous, something I always wanted to do.
I think now you can only do a tandem jump for those sort of jumps.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 22:02 »
Well done - good luck!

I put my name down with a few work-mates, years ago, but they wouldn't let me do it because of a previous knee injury. Oh well I tried  ::)

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 11:24 »
Well done - good luck!

I put my name down with a few work-mates, years ago, but they wouldn't let me do it because of a previous knee injury. Oh well I tried  ::)
I had a similar problem, Mrs B.  Because I was over 40 I had to get a doctor's permission to jump and my doctor wasn't happy because I had a previous back injury. However, when he saw the look on my face he said "You really want to do this, don't you?", when I told him it was something I'd always wanted to do he relented and signed me fit.  I was very lucky he did that for me.  My mom had died at quite a young age just
a little while earlier and it had made me realise that you only get one shot at life and if what you want doesn't hurt anyone else, then go for it.
Have a great day, Mrs Pea!!

MrsPea

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 12:55 »
 Thank you all so much, shall tell you Sunday how i get on  :D

wighty

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 17:24 »
Well, you're braver than I am. Good luck.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 09:02 »
I would love to fly like a bird but only if I have something surrounding me like a small airplane.  :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

hamstergbert

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 19:45 »
I would love to fly like a bird but only if I have something surrounding me like a small airplane.  :tongue2:

Did a few solo jumps a long time ago with the RN / RM sports parachute association.  Started on static line with a traditional round canopy with cutouts (think it was a C9LL) and being required to master the Parachute Landing Fall (PLF) which was horrible and quite uncomfortable even on the rare occasions of getting it absolutely right!    Much more sensible now I believe with a tandem jump so some free fall (no static line) and a wing that travels forward quite quickly so as the ground gets very near the brakes are applied to convert speed to lift and you should enjoy a feather light step down landing!

That said it still will take nerve so well done you Mrs Pea.  May help to recognise that you are not jumping from a height (top of the house is a height and one that can hurt you) but stepping into a picture - serious altitude is outside most brains' ability to rationalise it.

Goosegirl - to fly like a bird I can recomment paragliding which is actually a small aircraft with the wing being the cloth air ram affair overhead and the fuselage being a sort of canvas and padding seat!   Cheapest way to fly like a bird and a major advantage over parachutes is you can stay up longer and given the right conditions you can climb. Can do it if you can jog across a field carrying a rucsack.  Legally don't need licensing etc (although you do havew ot obey air laws and stay out of airport zones etc)  but should get proper training via a BHPA qualified instructor Problem is it is utterly addictive and losing it is heartbreaking if circumstances change and you have to stop.

Mrs Pea - thats a goodly sum you have raised (no doubt grown since then).  Do you have a donations page?

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

MrsPea

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2023, 06:48 »
JustGiving <reply-fe9017727d6d077e76-12009_HTML-449988894-6269485-1@contact.justgiving.com>
 I'm not sure if this will work  It's for  Lesley Partridge , thank you so much if it works
The chariety is ' Turning Tides '

hamstergbert

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2023, 17:52 »
Thanks Mrs Pea.  Link doesnt work but Justgiving for Turnign Tides brings up your page.

Hope you have fun.

HGB x

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2023, 08:53 »
Hamsters,
 "Goosegirl - to fly like a bird I can recomment paragliding which is actually a small aircraft with the wing being the cloth air ram affair overhead and the fuselage being a sort of canvas and padding seat!   Cheapest way to fly like a bird and a major advantage over parachutes is you can stay up longer and given the right conditions you can climb. Can do it if you can jog across a field carrying a rucsack."

Your'e havin' a laff there!  :tongue2: GG couldn't jog if her life depended on it never mind carrying a rucksack as well. 

hamstergbert

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2023, 14:49 »
Ah, bad luck, Goosey.
However, all is not lost – there is an alternative to the 'jog across a field with a rucksack' mode, in the form of the 'take advantage of gullible kids' mode.

With a normal wing and a suitable harness, what you should do is recruit either four or six young scouts, number depending on your personal avoirdupois.   

Each young scout, hereinafter referred to as 'undercarriage squad' , is issued with one of those big lawn corkscrew jobs they sell in the Coopers catalogue for tethering dogs to in the garden, together with a length of rope each (old climbing rope, bit of clothesline, whatever) and bottles of panda cola and packets of monster munch.  (This is important, as any kid who will neck down that amount of e numbers and other artificial ingredients clearly has the under-developed sense of self-preservation we are looking for).

Each undercarriage crew member ties themselves to one end of their bit of rope with a bowline (scouts are usually good at knots, you see) and the other end is tied to the lawn corkscrew thingie.   This is all set up at a suitable paragliding site where we are looking for ideally a nice flat hilltop with a steep hillside facing into the wind and a rounded edge (sharp corners at the edge can generate rotor which we include in the list of things that are not good).  We want about 10mph wind. 

The undercarriage members fix their corkscrew thingies into the ground at a suitable distance from the edge then position themselves around you in the harness – one at each corner if in four scout mode, otherwise three along each side if in hexascout configuration.

Your wing should be laid out at right angles to the wind and you can tweak it so the openings catch the breeze and start to inflate the wing, building your 'wall'.  Strap into the harness.

Pop the wing up and the scouts lift the harness with you in it.  As the wing comes overhead the scouts start to sprint towards the edge of the hilltop.   We are after 'speed to fly' which is a combination of the windspeed  added to the speed of the sprinting e-number powered scouts.  As some point between the start and the edge of the hilltop you should get to flying speed.

As the scouts arrive at the edge of the hilltop, the ropes attached to them cause them to stop suddenly, avoiding falling down the hillside which shows you are a responsible employer, caring for their well-being even if by hovering down fizzy pop and monster munch they clearly don't  care themselves. 

As each scout is brought up short, you of course will be travelling at the same speed as the sprinting scouts were,  but without a rope to stop you will continue moving forward, slipping out of their hands and into the air.  A gently dab on the brakes, settle into the harness and get yourself into the lift band, and relax into soaring high mixed with wishing you had ducked behind a wall for a wee before taking off..... 

Simples.

Extracted from "The HamsterGBert guide to free flight"

xx
Saturday job.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post September 26, 2023, 18:46
by MrsPea

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 47 queries.