When should I worm my chooks and with what?

• 13 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
When should I worm my chooks and with what?
« on: November 16, 2009, 19:04 »
My girls go out and about quite a bit, so I am wondering when is a good time to start worming them. They are still quite young 20 -30 wks (not laying yet - a slightly sore point :nowink:) and haven't be wormed before. What would you recommend, they are fed on layer pellets.
P1030160.JPG

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: When should I worm my chooks and with what?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 19:11 »
Hi chuckmum! most of us on here use flubenvet which is available from vets and i think? larger pet feed stores! vets and manufacturers say every couple of months but I (on recommendation from this site) treat them in the spring and the autumn! you vcan get a smallholder pack now but i still have the large quantity pack which makes dosing a bit trickier!  ???

Debbie 
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 19:14 »
Thanks Debbie, I'll look online. :) Will it be ok in dry pellets?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 19:15 by chuckmum »

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 19:17 »
Oh! and by the way my silver laced wyandotte (Dotty) who is the same age as your girlie has the reddest comb ever!  :D and she did a little squat for me today! so............there may be eggies before Christmas yet!  ;)

Debbie

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 19:21 »
I do hope so, my Legbar has a biggest and reddest comb and my Dotty also looks pretty mature in the comb and wattle department. It is harder to tell with the Araucana though, with her big feather topknot! Here's hoping Santa comes early! :D

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 19:23 »
Never mind the egs or the birds !!!!!!!!!!   Grass, Its Grass  :blink:  :blink: I have forgotten what it looks like  :mad:
 You,re birds look great  :D
wish I was a cat

sam on lewis

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 11:23 »
try www.Verm-x.com, it's herbal and for the control of internal parasites, use it for 3 consequtive days once a month, works out quite cheap, with 8 chickens and 4 ducks it looks like one container £26.00 will last a year. Comes with a little scoop, and you just add it to the pellets. Also once the birds have moulted and are not laying we give them what's called old barley or old wheat until they get near to laying again, works out cheaper than layers pellets. The wild birds get old barley / wheat in the feeders too. Much cheaper than birds seed. About £6 a sack.

scrappydoo

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 14:25 »
Hi chuckmum! most of us on here use flubenvet which is available from vets and i think? larger pet feed stores! vets and manufacturers say every couple of months but I (on recommendation from this site) treat them in the spring and the autumn! you vcan get a smallholder pack now but i still have the large quantity pack which makes dosing a bit trickier!  ???

Debbie  
  Hi Debbie hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but worming, do they have to be done? what age? what about the eggs whilst they're being wormed.... etc etc
 :unsure:
Regards

Steve
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 14:40 by scrappydoo »
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 16:41 »
Hi chuckmum! most of us on here use flubenvet which is available from vets and i think? larger pet feed stores! vets and manufacturers say every couple of months but I (on recommendation from this site) treat them in the spring and the autumn! you vcan get a smallholder pack now but i still have the large quantity pack which makes dosing a bit trickier!  ???

Debbie  
  Hi Debbie hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but worming, do they have to be done? what age? what about the eggs whilst they're being wormed.... etc etc
Regards

Steve

Hello!
some would say you dont have to if they arent free ranging etc, age usaually from around 15-16wks i would say. I have just checked on the packet and it says nil egg withdrawel  :D

scrappydoo

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:44 »

Debbie  
Regards

Steve

Hello!
some would say you dont have to if they arent free ranging etc, age usaually from around 15-16wks i would say. I have just checked on the packet and it says nil egg withdrawel  :D

:D Hi thanks for the reply I'm happy with that except for "nil egg withdrawel" :unsure: does that mean they can still be eaten?

Best Regards

Steve

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 14:36 »
Yes - you can eat all the eggs that you want.  The active ingredient in the wormer is not transferred to the egg.  In other words you won't get wormed yourself when you eat the eggs.  You'll need to get your own wormer from the chemist or GP!! :D :D

scrappydoo

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 16:49 »
Yes - you can eat all the eggs that you want.  The active ingredient in the wormer is not transferred to the egg.  In other words you won't get wormed yourself when you eat the eggs.  You'll need to get your own wormer from the chemist or GP!! :D :D

:) Thanks for that H.H. do you recommend anything in particular?

Best Regards

Steve

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 11:56 »
For you or the chooks??

Flubenvet is the best way to go for the chooks!!

You can always ask Hillfooter for the equation as to quantities per kilo... he is our scientific boffin correspondent. :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 12:31 »

xx
About to worm my chooks with flubenvet.'

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 03:21
by mohs.ayaz
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
Should i worm now?

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 22:26
by HENrietta
xx
should I re worm ?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 21:04
by SoniaBA

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 32 queries.