Bye bye Bee :-(

• 7 Replies

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Bye bye Bee :-(
« on: March 02, 2012, 19:40 »
Well, after a winter of battling general lethargy, hobbles and pains, wet feather as he refused to wash and an accident involving a nail and a long course of antibiotics and treatment a few days ago my lovely cuddly drake Bee's hips went. Poor thing couldn't even turn himself without balancing on wing tips. I had him on metacam for pain relief and examined for injury, but I think was just destined for the big pond in the sky. The vets were at as much of a loss as me as to why he had gone downhill all winter but we agreed it was time to pts  :(

I'm a little worried about how his brother will cope as he was frantic when I took him away in the pet box to the vets and come bedtime was quacking for him as he does this lovely head bob count as his ladies and Bee go to bed each night! I'm sure the Spring air will distract him a little though  ;)

You can see the mucky little terror in his prime in this video by John http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/chickens-backyard/keeping-ducks.php. I know I'm a softie but he was as much a family pet as the cats and I'll really miss him.

Springlands

Re: Bye bye Bee :-(
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 20:39 »
Caralou - so sorry to hear about Bee and I am sure that you will miss his antics. Watched the video - he looks really cute. I just love the way that ducks walk - could watch mine for ages - waddling about and then going for a wee swim. I think that we all get a bit soft about our hens and ducks and really miss them when they go.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:08 »
Sorry to hear about Bee, loved the clip it looked like he had a lovely life with the others :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 17:33 »
Oh Cara,

I'm so sorry to hear about Bee. I know how much he meant to you and he was such a character!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 18:17 »
Ohhhh.... 

So sad to lose him, Cara.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 21:18 »
As I suspected the Spring air is helping Bumble to cope ;) There was a lot of quacking at the gate for a day or so but now all is back to normal and the ducks seem happy again. I find it odd to not shout "Boys" and get my synchronised quack back though  :( Thank you for your kind wishes. It is amazing how quickly they become pets not livestock and how much you can miss their antics!

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 22:28 »
They are characters that tear at our hearts regardless of what they are. Sorry you lost Bee, Cara.  :(

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 09:01 »
Our 'boy' seemed to think that it was spring all winter long - naughty boy. Glad to hear your other boy is settling down again - unfortunately it will take you longer - but you will have your happy memories of Bee.

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 38 queries.