Sage and Rosemary germination times

• 16 Replies

al78

Sage and Rosemary germination times
« on: March 20, 2013, 00:17 »
About two weeks ago I sowed some Sage and Rosemary in modules indoors but there is no sign of anything germinating yet. The indoor temperature varies between 11 and 13C, is this why germination is taking so long, or is it just that these seeds have long germination times? The Sage seed packet suggest 14-28 days so it is possible that I need to wait a bit longer, but I am now wondering if my house is too cold for them and they are going to fail.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Sage and Rosemary germination times
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:22 »
Rosemary is difficult to germinate, so I'd be patient with it yet. I haven't grown sage from seed, so can't speak for it.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:52 »
Rosemary takes forever - be patient and expect poor germination rates.  I got some to go last year, but to be honest it was only because I was too lazy to throw the pot out when I was sure they had failed, and then ....  there were some teeny tiny green leaves which I wasn't even sure was the rosemary and not something else dormant in the soil.

Sage I have only ever propagated from cuttings so likewise don't know, but suspect might be the same.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:43 »
I've grown sage and it wasn't difficult to germinate, but I did start it in the heated propogator.

I agree with the others about rosemary wait til it's warmer and root some cuttings - even sprigs from the supermarket will root as long as they're not withered to start with  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12 »
Sage and Rosemary are both native to far warmer climates than ours, and like the majority of seeds germinate best at temperatures higher than you are providing at the moment, although Rosemary in particular is known to be a bit reluctant even at the best of times.

Found a guide HERE you may find useful - I think the message is that at 2 weeks they are both probably only just getting round to thinking about germinating at 11-13C!

Agree that both sage and rosemary are amongst the easiest herbs to root from cuttings.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

al78

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 00:02 »
Thanks for the info, I guess it is just a case of being patient.

The comfrey bocking 14 root cuttings came through the post today, have just potted them up, lets see what will happen with them.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:25 »
After reading this I've sown a packet of rosemary seed. The back of the packet says that germination can take up to 8 weeks. My mum's neighbour has a huge bush of rosemary in the front garden. Might have to try rooting cuttings next month and compare results.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:10 »
My money (but not very much of it!) would probably be on the cuttings to win in the end.  :unsure:

I've just noticed that the Rosemary page via the link in my previous post describes it as a "tender perennial."   ???

It's a US-based website which probably has something to do with it - the only Rosemary bush I've ever lost was in the middle of summer (I used the top of it as a convenient back-friendly resting place for a slightly dripping hoze nozzle and forgot about it for a couple of days, and the whole plant eventually succumbed to botrytis.  :ohmy:)

surbie100

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 10:11 »
My money (but not very much of it!) would probably be on the cuttings to win in the end.  :unsure:

factor in my inexperience at rooting cuttings and it might just be even-stevens... :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 10:18 »

factor in my inexperience at rooting cuttings and it might just be even-stevens... :)

Ah - wallet will stay firmly closed!  :lol:

Having well-drained soil probably helps, but all I do is cut off a 6-8" shoot, pull off the leaves on the lower half, and stick it in a spare bit of ground (it might get watered if I remember but having needle-like leaves rosemary cuttings don't tend to droop as others might.)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 10:24 »
I've just noticed that the Rosemary page via the link in my previous post describes it as a "tender perennial."   
I have lost Rosemary bushes in the past in a cold winter
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=73680.msg838823#msg838823

It must depend on the micro climate they're planted in.

This year the one in the middle of the garden looks very sorry for itself  :( whereas  another one, protected from the cold North and Easterly winds by hedge and greenhouse is looking good  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 12:37 »
I have lost Rosemary in previous winters from the effects of our prevailing south-westerly (straight off the sea), but this winter my present plant has been fine. If these easterly winds are prolonged much more, I will be concerned for it too.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 16:05 »
With Rosemary I find you are much better off taking cuttings each year rather than start from scratch. At the end of the season if you take a cutting about finger length, take off the bottom few leaves and ensure it has a clean diagonal cut you can then put about 5 in a pot and leave it somewhere sheltered or preferably in a greenhouse keeping it moist. You should get at least 2 new plants come spring. If you have an rooting hormone that will help but I have found its not essential. Do this every year and you will always have a nice healthy and not too big and woody plant.

surbie100

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 16:54 »
Thanks Glen, will try yours and JayG's advice. I had a packet of seed lying about, so thought it might be worth a go. Will get the snippers out...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 17:09 »
Thanks Glen, will try yours and JayG's advice. I had a packet of seed lying about, so thought it might be worth a go. Will get the snippers out...

The advantage of taking cuttings from your neighbour's Rosemary is that you know it must be a hardy variety - there are a surprising number of cultivars of what is basically one species and some are hardier than others.

It's probably best to wait until it's just a bit warmer and the sap has started rising, although I've taken cuttings at all times of the year and they always root OK eventually.

xx
If I bought a ready-made Rosemary and Sage...

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 17:44
by Goosegirl
xx
Rosemary... germination

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2007, 23:08
by Flower
xx
Germination of Rosemary seeds

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 19:42
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
germination times

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 17:34
by flowerlady

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 37 queries.