What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2145 on: August 12, 2013, 16:53 »
It was a lovely morning indeed- weeding around my beets and parsnips, sowed last of the winter brassicas (kale/pak choi/radish/neeps in spaces that have opened up, made a new and bigger brassica net curtain tent over them using some old tent poles. 
Admired my pumpkins  8)

Ladybird count= 14 (on beans/courgettes).  Grasshoppers=loads.

seaside

« Reply #2146 on: August 12, 2013, 17:39 »
Dug over some vacated beds ready for green manuring shortly.
I must say, the digging is a piece of cake these days, now the plot has been been regularly weeded, hoed, and tended over the years, with little compaction to speak of anymore. It takes no time at all.
It can still be tedious, but at least it's half therapeutic now, rather than the tiresome slog it used to be.

I rarely go deeper than a spit and a bit though, as there really seems no need anymore.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 17:45 by seaside »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2147 on: August 12, 2013, 21:17 »
digging is a piece of cake these days, now the plot has been been regularly weeded, hoed, and tended over the years, with little compaction to speak of anymore. It takes no time at all.

I am dreaming of that!

Weeded, gloated over sweetcorn silks, snaffled some cape gooseberries, strawberries and golden purslane and picked 2 litres of blackberries for jamming tonight with some apples.

And started painting the shed in preparation for autumn/winter - my paint job was a bit shoddy last year and it was looking really tatty.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2148 on: August 12, 2013, 21:32 »
Spent the afternoon with the children at the plot.  Had a meeting with the local Lions club who we have asked for funding assistance from.

Back to the plot, I cleared the pea bed completely, ready to plant up again tomorrow.  Fed and sowed some Autumn King carrots in a half barrel in the hope I might squeeze another crop in this year.  Sprayed some of my courgettes and squashes that are developing downy mildew with Vitax 2 in 1 in the hope it will keep it at bay (had sprayed the runner beans which were aphid infested at the weekend).  Fed and watered the tomatoes and sweet peas to keep them going.  Topped the asparagus bed with some manure as I need to try to free up the bay on my compost bin that is full of manure.  The loganberry has almost finished cropping, so I am seriously thinking of tackling pruning it and retraining the new growth in before I go on holiday next week.

Spied two gorgeous peacock butterflies sunning themselves this afternoon. 
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2149 on: August 14, 2013, 19:18 »
 :) This morning while the Plotfather was erecting a salvaged fence between our half plot and that of a messy neighbour, I turned the contents of one compost bin, weeded among the beetroot, watered tomatoes and tidied up among the squashes and pumpkins. They are all looking good but why can't they grow in an orderly fashion  :mellow: Put straw under all the fruits. We had a cuppa before gathering some lettuce and radishes for lunch and a lovely cauliflower for tea. I went back this afternoon to tidy the strawberries which I grew in towers from Poundland this year. It was good to have clean, bug free fruit.  :happy:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2150 on: August 14, 2013, 19:26 »
started to empty the old compost heap onto one of the beds, but got dive-bombed by teeny wasps so gave up for the moment. As I was pretty unwelcoming when they tried to build a nest in my shed, I will let them have the compost heap.
Anne

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2151 on: August 14, 2013, 21:36 »
Hi Bob there was a thread about these sometime back. it'll come up if you put in a search. I used the one with 4 pots rather than 3 and stacked them 6 high. Sorry but I don't know how to upload a picture :(

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2152 on: August 14, 2013, 22:46 »
 :D Thread has been found for us Strawberry stacking pots

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2153 on: August 15, 2013, 14:02 »
Today I harvested more green beans, tomatoes, courgettes and finally I beat the deer to 2 sweetcorn! They probably could have needed one more day but I am determined to beat the deer at least once! There are a few more cobs left that aren't as ripe yet so I might get more...

I also re-netted the swede, tidied the strawberry bed and plaited my onions

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2154 on: August 15, 2013, 19:13 »
Beside my harvest (see elsewhere), tidied up path edges and made sure the greenhouse is so well "tied" down it won't move whatever the weather does ( touches wood!).

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2155 on: August 15, 2013, 19:17 »
 :) Plotfather finished the fence (yesterday's post) while I did more hoeing and general tidying up.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2156 on: August 16, 2013, 19:00 »
Beyond the harvest, cleared the former potato bed and planted some "green manure". Another experiment for year 1! Thinned the rocket.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2157 on: August 17, 2013, 19:39 »
Nothing - it rained !! So bought some more green manure seeds, tarragon and some winter spuds!

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2158 on: August 17, 2013, 22:23 »
French Tarragon is the best but russian is hardier  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Ema

« Reply #2159 on: August 17, 2013, 22:25 »
Picked and picked

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 28 queries.