Beetroot queen

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2115 on: August 08, 2013, 17:40 »
Grumbling depressed woman here. Its my only sanity  :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2116 on: August 08, 2013, 18:40 »
I'm feeling a bit depressed myself because yet again I have to grumble about this thread being diverted well away from the topic.  :wacko:

Please consider those who actually read this thread (and others) expecting the content to actually relate to the title.

"Chatting on the Plot" is for sundry chatting topics - this one isn't.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2117 on: August 09, 2013, 09:09 »
I picked a few bits this morning. Listed in the daily harvest post, so i stay on topic  ::)

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2118 on: August 09, 2013, 13:08 »
Very impressive greenhouse! I am assuming it was an eBay bargain?

No. One of the other plot owners is a joiner and had built his own "monster" greehouse/shed(about 15' by 8') and needed this one out of the way. So three of us lifted it up and walked it across to mine (minus the glazing). I spent a happy afternoon levelling, glazing and putting the toms into place from the little plastic greenhouse they were living in. I reckon a bargain - eBay prices seem much higher and you have to dismantle and collect.

edit to add quote to clarify
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 13:12 by mumofstig »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2119 on: August 09, 2013, 13:44 »
Very impressive greenhouse! I am assuming it was an eBay bargain?

No. One of the other plot owners is a joiner and had built his own "monster" greehouse/shed(about 15' by 8') and needed this one out of the way. So three of us lifted it up and walked it across to mine (minus the glazing). I spent a happy afternoon levelling, glazing and putting the toms into place from the little plastic greenhouse they were living in. I reckon a bargain - eBay prices seem much higher and you have to dismantle and collect.

edit to add quote to clarify

Lucky you!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2120 on: August 09, 2013, 19:41 »
 :) Have got 2 grandsons  aged 8 and 5 staying for a couple of days so we had some help to harvest 10lbs potatoes, 6lbs of oversize beetroot and dug up 25 fallen over onions. We fed tomatoes, pumpkins and tomatoes. Had a break for tea, squash and cake. I don't think they want to go home  :D

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2121 on: August 09, 2013, 20:32 »
:) Have got 2 grandsons  aged 8 and 5 staying for a couple of days so we had some help to harvest 10lbs potatoes, 6lbs of oversize beetroot and dug up 25 fallen over onions. We fed tomatoes, pumpkins and tomatoes. Had a break for tea, squash and cake. I don't think they want to go home  :D

Lovely.  Have they a garden at home?
:) They do but Mummy and Daddy are not gardeners :(

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2122 on: August 09, 2013, 21:43 »

Lovely.  Have they a garden at home?
 :) They do but Mummy and Daddy are not gardeners :(

Give them a couple of plants, ask their M&D to give them a sunny square to plant them.
Oh Bob, the list of plants that have met their end in that garden is endless.  :( Having said that, Mummy has got 2 lovely pots of petunias. :lol:

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2123 on: August 09, 2013, 21:59 »
Built a new compost heap from garage bits and pieces, organised my squash trailings  :nowink:

Gave up on my direct planted fennel and dug bed over ready for the module sown ones and the leeks to go in tomorrow (as hubby is off to the footie so I'll get a whole afternoon  :tongue2:)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2124 on: August 09, 2013, 22:32 »
After reading the thread on celeriac, I had to run up to the plot to feed mine as they hadn't had a smidgin of seaweed (or any plant food) since they were pups.

Some more onions turned up their toes and were put to dry.

Weeded.
Anne

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #2125 on: August 10, 2013, 08:40 »
Not much this morning because it's National Allotment Week and our site is off to view another.
I cannot wait to see some new ideas :)
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

grendel

« Reply #2126 on: August 10, 2013, 10:52 »
a quick harvesting trip today, saw a bucket of peas and beans plus a further half bucket of runner beans, plus a handful of the ripest apples for my lunch box next week. the poor plots are starting to be deep in weeds, this is down to the small amount of time I have available with the new job, if the M25 is bad it can be 8.30pm or later when I get home, its nearly 7pm on a very good day, which can be counted on one hand in the 4 weeks I have been there.
still I have leave I can take, so maybe a week later on to clear and prep for next year. I see weed membrane on the shopping list for later in the season.

Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2127 on: August 10, 2013, 11:39 »
Just back from the plot to harvest and sort the runners out on the strawberry tower.

Not happy when I managed to knock said Strawberry tower over :-( Now have compost everywhere and had to replant a third of the plants.

Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2128 on: August 10, 2013, 16:27 »
Cleared the onions and brought them home to dry. Going away for 2 weeks and didnt want them to rot on the soil or get pinched. Only thought about where I was going to dry them when I got home  :ohmy: Thankgoodness for strong clothes airers and debris netting.

Also weeded EVERYTHING.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2129 on: August 10, 2013, 16:54 »
Just a quick one today to collect some onions for dinner tonight (all drying off nicely now) and collect another half a kilo of blackberries on the way past. Will do the same on Mon and then do some jelly making!

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 30 queries.