organic from non-organic????

• 26 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: organic from non-organic????
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 20:19 »
Not if it's a systemic hormone.
IMO  the tiny amount of systemic anything in a seed would hardly amount to much in the fully grown plant.
I thought this was a general question not an in depth scientific debate, my mistake obviously....if even the Soil assoc says you can use non organic seed who am i to argue. :)
Doubt if any of us are buying GM seed from Mr Monsanto :lol:

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 21:29 »
According to Soil Association rules ...

Soil association is a bizzarre body. I fish for, catch and eat organic trout - its not deliberate it just happens to be a glorious fishery. What has the soil association know about fish production? They also certify scottish farmed salmon, go look at the damage that is causing, as organic.

:(
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Stripey_cat

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 22:01 »
i wouldnt worry about it,infact i dont realy understand why they sell organic seed,

It depends on why (s)he wants to grow organically.  Some people don't want to buy seed that's been grown using conventional chemicals, not because they're worried about contamination of the seed, but because they don't want to patronise companies that use synthetic chemicals.  The OP seems to be more concerned about dietary contamination, and I have to say that I think the risk there is minimal.  People have also mentioned concerns about artificially created varieties (either gene-spliced or colchine-modified), where the modification will remain in the resultant plant.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 23:31 »
Why do you need an absolutely organic diet PC PLOT ?

I would have thought that if you were concerned about a minute amount of seed treatment chemicals, which are washed away by irrigation during the growing season, then you should NEVER drink tap water or use any in your cooking or food preparation ! 

Laundry could be risky too as many chemicals can be easily absorbed through the skin.  Showers and baths would also contain more "chemicals" than a single treated seed  :)

Yabba

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 00:04 »
you should NEVER drink tap water or use any in your cooking or food preparation ! 

Laundry could be risky too as many chemicals can be easily absorbed through the skin.  Showers and baths would also contain more "chemicals" than a single treated seed  :)

You're scary, I'll just stick with my "big plant -> small seed -> at least i grew it as best I could" attitude ;)

¥

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 00:24 »
Hi,
Can anyone answer this: if I buy non-organic seeds bearing in mind the size of a seed and then grew that seed on using organic methods, would the seed treatments that the seed may contain or chemicals from non-organic production be diluted enough through the organic growing methods used, to enable the produce to be considered chemical free. :unsure:

The reason I ask is that I am on an organic diet but there are some veg that I love that are F1's, so I thought that a vegetable like the pumpkin that produces a large plant prior to fruiting may be a contender for growing organic from non-organic, or am I just PC LOST THE PLOT?. :wacko:

Why the size? Surely if you are that worried about this then it doesnt really matter what size the seed? 
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

PC PLOT

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 12:46 »
Why do you need an absolutely organic diet PC PLOT ?

I would have thought that if you were concerned about a minute amount of seed treatment chemicals, which are washed away by irrigation during the growing season, then you should NEVER drink tap water or use any in your cooking or food preparation ! 

Reason for strict diet: I have had surgery to try and clear my body of cancer and I am on a cancer fighting diet, so yes damn right NO TAP WATER even for cooking, NO LAUNDRY OR COSMETIC CHEMICALS, so it is I feel it is important for me to avoid all chemicals even in small amounts, who know my diet may or may not work :wacko: but it keeps me positive :)

PC PLOT

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 13:00 »
Quote from: PC PLOT link=topic=35338.msg422971#msg422971 date=124075

Of course a seed knows not if it's organic, ::)

[/quote

PC PLOT Could you please point me to the scientific paper which gives the evidence for this claim.

WOOOA! :ohmy: what have I started, new to the forum and only asked a question! wow! heavy sh*"%^,  :blink: I have no "SCIENTFIC PAPER" to point you to Paulw :lol:, I thought it was common knowledge that some seeds are treated with fugicides, don't some seed suppliers state this?. Anyway I am not going to search out scientfic papers, just thought I ask the question :wacko:.
Thank you to all who replied to my question it has been answered way beyond my expectations, great :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 15:20 »

Reason for strict diet: I have had surgery to try and clear my body of cancer and I am on a cancer fighting diet, so yes damn right NO TAP WATER even for cooking, NO LAUNDRY OR COSMETIC CHEMICALS, so it is I feel it is important for me to avoid all chemicals even in small amounts, who know my diet may or may not work :wacko: but it keeps me positive :)

Well I hope you get well again but would advise you not to put any faith in the advice you get from a gardening forum.  You should be getting advice from your consultant and the hospital's dietician.  They would be the best people to give you advice.

PC PLOT

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 11:04 »
Hi,
Can anyone answer this: if I buy non-organic seeds bearing in mind the size of a seed and then grew that seed on using organic methods, would the seed treatments that the seed may contain or chemicals from non-organic production be diluted enough through the organic growing methods used, to enable the produce to be considered chemical free. :unsure:

The reason I ask is that I am on an organic diet but there are some veg that I love that are F1's, so I thought that a vegetable like the pumpkin that produces a large plant prior to fruiting may be a contender for growing organic from non-organic, or am I just PC LOST THE PLOT?. :wacko:

Why the size? Surely if you are that worried about this then it doesnt really matter what size the seed? 

No it doesnt really matter what size the seed is and I didn't say it does, I only used Pumpkin seed as an example. :wacko:

PC PLOT

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 11:12 »

Well I hope you get well again but would advise you not to put any faith in the advice you get from a gardening forum.  You should be getting advice from your consultant and the hospital's dietician.  They would be the best people to give you advice.

Already on that but they don't know much about growing veg! but thanks your advice and thanks for wishing me well.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 20:06 »
To be truly Organic then you are going to have to buy organic seed/plants. depends on how close to organic you are aiming to get. IMHO the residue ( if any ) chemicals would be nearly negligible. 
Best of luck with your endeavour, please let us know how the growing etc. goes  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Organic or not organic the truth at last.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:29
by Trillium
xx
Organic vs Non-Organic growing

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 11:28
by Jaybees
xx
How organic?

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 10:26
by NigelB
xx
organic

Started by Uela on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 14:14
by potatogrower

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 30 queries.