Baking?

• 2 Replies

Daisycow

Baking?
« on: April 10, 2008, 19:56 »
Ok, so I know this possibly should have been posted elsewhere, but I'll try here anyway!

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but does anyone bake cakes with their eggs? Specifically bantam eggs? We have quite a few now, and I want to know does it work? If so what do i use, 2 bantam eggs for every 1 egg the recipe says?  :?

If it can be done, is there anything I should be aware of? I have tried looking on the net, but maybe I searched on the wrong stuff! Can you help?  :)

Daisy

ness

• Experienced Member
Baking?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 20:28 »
I tend to use 2 bantam eggs for 1 large egg in an recipe.  But my banties lay quite large eggs so I don't necessarily double up for bigger quantities ie for 2 large eggs i would use 3 bantam eggs.  
But then again I'm not known for my cooking skills!  :lol:

westie

• Experienced Member
Baking?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 20:50 »
I use two small eggs for 1 large egg.
Our cakes are delicious and it's so satisfying to know that they've been made with eggs from our happy chickens.
My 8 year old helped me make a whisked sponge for the first time and we were both amazed at the result! So much nicer than with bought eggs. The end result, a swiss roll, didn't last more than 2 meals!!
To start with, it might be worth trying a basic sponge where you weigh the eggs and then use the same amount of flour, sugar and marg/butter.
Beat it all together and bung it in little cake cases or one big cake.
My sons tend to use 3 or 4 eggs (of different sizes) weighing between 180 and 220g and then do the above method. Their cakes always turn out well and I don't have to get involved in any of it now!!
Hope this helps :wink:

xx
Baking for chickens.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 07, 2010, 05:05
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 35 queries.