celery and lettuce bottoms

• 10 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
celery and lettuce bottoms
« on: January 21, 2013, 15:19 »
Hi every one,

Well I know Im  new to this and probably gulable but I read some where on Pinterest that:

when you use a head of lettuce or celery then put the base in some water or soil and it will re grow leaves, they may be smaller but they will grow.  Well Iv'e put a couple in a tray and it does seem to be working.

Does any one else do this or is it bad practise due to rot/bacteria etc.

Many thanks

Julie

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: celery and lettuce bottoms
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 15:22 »
I've heard of it done with lettuce but I don't know if it is considered bad practice. The other thing you can do with little gem lettuce, is cut them at or very slightly above soil level and they regrow. Ready made cut and come again. :) They'll do this a couple of times before the leaves start to grow bitter tasting.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 15:23 »
I've tried the celery trick a few times and watched some videos on it, and everyone agrees that it's good to put the celery in water for only one day to rehydrate then immediately place on top of some lightly damp compost or potting mix. If left more than a day in water, we've all found the celery tends to rot quickly, whereas the soil trick makes them grow on better and faster.

The resulting stalk is not a problem as long as there are no visible signs of something you wouldn't want to eat, the same as any other soil grown veg.

Not tried the lettuce but imagine it's the same.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 15:28 »
well then these are brilliant tips as my guinea pigs go through a head of lettuce ( Romaine as other lettuces are poisonous for them) and a head of celery a day at the moment as grass is scarce.

Thant you all, I can see me with  troughs of lettuce and celery bottoms on all of my window ledges :-)

A happy Julie c

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 15:34 »
If you have some nice neighbours then they might be willing to save their celery bottoms for you and you can go into production   ;) :D

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 15:36 »
I always thought celery would be hard to grow as I read somewhere about it needing trenches!  Now its growing in a plastic pot on my kitchen window ledge.... how hard is that? LOL

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 15:45 »
The trenching part comes when you bury the lower half of the maturing stalk to blanch it so it's not bitter. I doubt rabbits, guinea pigs, etc care.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 15:50 »
The trenching part comes when you bury the lower half of the maturing stalk to blanch it so it's not bitter. I doubt rabbits, guinea pigs, etc care.

Thanks Trilium, please can you explain blanch; the only blanch I know is to put veg your going to freeze in hot water for a few mins :wacko:

thanks very much for all your help.

Julie

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 15:54 »
This type of blanching means that by covering the stalks with soil for at least a month you exclude light from hitting the skin, depriving that area of photosynthesis. This in turns makes the veg flesh pale and lacking in the normal bitter taste.

The technique is also done with white asparagus, which is actually green but grown from 'birth' under soil so it never sees light.

While it tastes lovely, excluding light also removes much of a plants nutritional value.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 15:57 »
Trilium your brilliant.

Does this mean though that as we all have differing tastes some may actually prefer the taste of celery "unblanched"?

My thinking here is that as I also love celery  it could feed both me and "my girls"

Again many thanks

Julie

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 16:02 »
Yes, it means exactly that.

And the degree of 'bitterness' can also differ depending on how it was grown. I personally find fertilizer grown celery and asparagus very bitter to the point of almost inedible. Organic, manure grown celery and asparagus are merely a stronger flavoured crop but lack the almost sour bitterness of the above. Lack of regular soil moisture can also contribute to bitterness.

The old French saying is true: chacun a son gout (to each his own (taste))

xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow
xx
All tops and no bottoms

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 08:37
by sandygreen
xx
Celery

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 09:22
by Casey76
xx
celery

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 22:25
by shaun

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 32 queries.