Mole hill soil

• 11 Replies

Ivor Backache

Mole hill soil
« on: February 11, 2015, 18:04 »
I have got a lot of club root, and although things are improving it will take several years to eradicate. I need a lot of fresh soil, and driving home last week I saw it. About 500 molehills on a 3 mile stretch of road! I have now got 5 buckets full to start, so the question is how do I use it. It looks very loamy and more clay in colour. Needs a PH test for lime.
Initially I thought of mixing it with commercial compost say 2:1 with some chicken pellets to grow brassica plants that have been germinated in compost. Just wondered if anyone has done anything like this and what sort of mixture they made.
I intend to grow in Supermarket 'cut flower' pots and sink them in the allotment soil. The bigger plants PSB and sprouts, I will dig a big hole and fill with this soil mixture. Thank you for any suggestions.

Lisbon67

Re: Mole hill soil
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 19:48 »
Have never used it, but was up on the south downs for a walk at the weekend, and despite the shallow, stony, chalky soil which dominates the downs, I came across a field of pristine mole hills of perfect loamy soil which would have been ideal for the lotty!

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39 »
I am sure the farmer will not mind you taking the odd bucket of soil. Did you get permission?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:12 »
If it is limy it will be good for brassicas.

I am trying to "create" some extra soil for my carrot bed this year, and have bought some coir blocks to soak and dig in. This has no nutrients but adds organic bulk, so maybe it could work for you too Ivor?

I like the idea of the bottomless buckets
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 13:35 »
The condition of the soil is very good. Club root is the issue and I seem to have pockets where it is very bad. I have had excellent results growing early potatoes and carrots in pots, so it seemed natural for me to try brassicas.
I have got some ideas from 'You tube' A bucket of sieved soil with Verve compost and some horse manure, makes 3 pots, and altogether, enough for a row across the allotment.

barley

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 17:01 »
hello Ivor

I live next to fields full of moles - the farmers only to pleased to let me use it as I set traps to keep the numbers down for him and me  ;) ( 7 last year  :ohmy:)

I put a thread on here some time ago of how I make my own potting compost - it includes 50% mole hill soil
you can find it here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/1/home-made-compost/112897/msg1289947#msg1289947

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 17:25 »
My late father used to swear by the stuff for potting and seed mixes but I used to think it was an old wives tale, now I am not so sure, looking at it from a moles point of view, they will want a good quality soil with lots of worms present , no brainer really, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 18:17 »
i use this for my carrots. i grow them in 3' barrels, fill the barrels half with with clodges and rought earth and the rest with mole hill soil, get lovely clean roots with no fly damage as so high off ground. replace top half every year bottom half every other year so i get a barrel and a half good loam every 2 years 

Ivor Backache

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 20:55 »
Thank you all for your replies and to Barley for your compost formula. I cannot use my compost because I would be recycling the club root, so I will follow your suggestion but using more Verve compost.

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 22:41 »
I've used mole hill soil in my potting mixes for years but beware...it's full of weed seeds. You can sterilize it by spreading it out on a tarpaulin and repeatedly running one of those steam wallpaper strippers over it.

barley

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 09:22 »
I've used mole hill soil in my potting mixes for years but beware...it's full of weed seeds. You can sterilize it by spreading it out on a tarpaulin and repeatedly running one of those steam wallpaper strippers over it.

I don't flaff with all that , just pull the teeny weeny weeds as they appear

Ivor Backache

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 14:00 »
I've used mole hill soil in my potting mixes for years but beware...it's full of weed seeds.

That's interesting...I came across a blog which asked why mole hills don't have weeds growing on them. Because I am growing brassicas I will use mats to prevent cabbage root fly, so weeds will not be a problem.
Thanks for your message which is supported by Barley.

For anyone who may considering this, the resultant mix is a wonderful loamy soil, as good as you would buy anywhere. My first batch was 2parts sieved soil/one part commercial compost with some added chicken poo.

xx
blueberry hill...well bed actually

Started by ANDY OF ILFORD on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 11:36
by waddecar
xx
blueberry hill

Started by mr tibbs on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 11:28
by fibilou
xx
*!!!!* Mole

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 08:33
by washsaint
xx
Bl***y Mole

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 18:05
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 36 queries.